• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about producing trail covers...

is thre interest in a revivied "saddle up" type trail cover?

• Total voters

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hey All-
A number of people have been bugging me about producing a variant of the "saddle up" trail cover that blew up a few years back. Carl Bradley called me the other day to say he'd acquired a new-in-the-bag cover with a bronco purchase he made and is sending it for me to examine. We will have a look and see if we can improve on what was done and determine a cost/retail.

From what I can tell, it was underpriced (translate that to loosing money on each one) which is why he probably bailed. The one I was shown at Super Celebration looked like it was made too lightly to be pulled down the road on a trailer at highway speeds without fraying. Personally- I think that was an unrealistic expectation for the material used.

If theres interest in a quality double stitched cover made from medium weight material intended for static or storage use, I'd like to hear constructive comments. We'd probably do a slant back and full cage version in a neutral color. No customization.

No history about how you got hosed in the past please. I'm not the other guy, just someone trying to fill requests for something we're capable of making. If theres a demand, and you want a non chinese made, quality cover, at a realistic price, sound off.

On another topic, we were moving along on the new lower cost "Trail Tub" last weekend when I had a mishap with a cut off wheel severing a tendon in my left thumb. Had surgery Tuesday to reattach it and back in the shop Wednesday but I'm really uncoordinated with 1 1/2 hands. I'm slowing new order deliveries way down until its healed. Hopefully, we'll still have the new tub on display at Carlisle All Truck but maybe not fully finished. Heres some pics of the new side plugs as they were last Sunday and the carnage. We'll be getting back on them later today and this weekend when we finish this weeks small parts orders.

Best Rgds To all,
Mike

Attachments

• July 15 2011 003.jpg
    July 15 2011 003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 790
  • July 15 2011 005.jpg
    July 15 2011 005.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 620

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I have two of the covers the other guy made and they are good quality. If you can produce one that's even better quality and a thicker material I am in. I have a full cage version for my trail rig and a slant back version for my street/trail rig. The buckles could be stronger as I noticed one of mine has cracked. Also I tow my trail rig with the cover on and although it holds up well I do have a place worn though in the cover.

Greg

74fiberglass

Holy hell mike, you gotta slow down. Hope that thumb heals quick!!! PETE

I would be be interested in a cover...

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Holy hell mike, you gotta slow down. Hope that thumb heals quick!!! PETE

I would be be interested in a cover...

Hey Pete!
NO guts NO glory man. I can't say I haven't bled for the Bronco cause (multiple times).....

Wanna come help me lay up parts for a few weeks since you're just down the interstate???

Last edited:

Deano

Bronco Guru
Hope that your thumb gets better! I would be up for one of the covers!

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Thanks Deano,
It is what it is, or maybe stupid is as stupid does. I have a little more respect for my angle grinder now.

Mike

Deano

Bronco Guru
I know the feeling. I only took off a few layers of skin with a grinder when I was building my EB and it's got my respect!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Mike, Sounds like you need a Safety Manager.
I know where one is and he might be good working on Bronco's.;D

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Safety Manager

Hey Bryan-
Ever seen the sign; "We shoot every third salesman and the second one just left" ?? I crossed out Salesman and penciled in OSHA inspector. Unless of course she looks like your avatar......

Just kidding Mr. Obama...

Last edited:

jsnouffer

Contributor
I would be interested in a trail cover for full cage. Would it fit with doors on or more specifically over the stock side mirrors?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Ouch! Hope that heals quickly.

As for the cover. I have one and I wish the side panels that cover the door area was a little bigger. I have lift off hinges and the cover was made for door inserts only. So if your going to make one please make one that will cover the whole door area should someone have no doors or tube doors. Thanks.

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
I would be interested in a trail cover for full cage. Would it fit with doors on or more specifically over the stock side mirrors?

SInce it was originally made for trucks without tops, I understand why the focus was on covering inserts but theres not much difference in fabric between covering an insert and covering a door. Mirror bulges might be a tough proposition though.

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
I bought one of his early on. If I had to make a complaint about it, it would be two of the buckles are cracked. Easy fix. I keep mine on year round, rain, snow or shine and the material has held decent, but it is becoming brittle. I can see I only have a few years left and have been wondering where I was going to get a replacement.

Hope this works out.

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
I have been looking all over for one of the older ones with no luck, so am definately in if you go the slant back route. Cant wait - Please keep this thread going with updates on your R&D as it moves along.

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
I have been looking all over for one of the older ones with no luck, so am definately in if you go the slant back route. Cant wait - Please keep this thread going with updates on your R&D as it moves along.

Will do Steve. I'd say a slant back would probably be a bigger seller since most full cage trucks are family machines with soft tops anyway.

Mike

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i'd be in as well Mike...mine's going on 4 or 5 years now and is on outside form march till november. the seams look as if they are starting to strain...Let me know if you need measurements or anything like that...

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Hope your thumb heals soon

I'm in for a full family cage version. Grey doesn't get as hot as black or as dirty as white. A couple vents on the side to air out but not water in would be cool, I'd pay a little extra for them.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i just remembered that the guard is off my angle grinder because SOMEONE told me to take it off....

coincidence?

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
Hey Mike, I would absolutely be in for one for my rig! I missed out on the ones that everyone got in on awhile back because at the time I was running lights above the windshield, which prohibited the cover. As for that thumb...you were tryin to work "blindfolded" weren't ya?;D;D;D