• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

We're goin to Windrock now, not Flat Nasty, PIC'S !

OP
OP
joe

joe

Bronco Guru
Anthony, I remember the ride to the trail head was not bad, but the ride from the end of the trail was pretty brutal on my rig last time (40th anniversary). We run 4 PSI in a $400+ tire and I really don't want to run it on the street as far as I did before. Is there another way down that does not involve as much pavement back to the trailers? Just let me know.

Stephen

on board air can ease the pain ;D

i know of a few trucks that will have it.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
on board air can ease the pain ;D

i know of a few trucks that will have it.

Yep, but I also understand where he’s coming from. Boggers don't like pavement either...;D Which gives us two options.

Option 1. Coming off the back side is a nice mostly down hill trail that brings us out on the back side of the top of the mountain. This requires coming back down a paved road. So we could always come back down the way we go in. This would put us back to about a mile from your trailer? The trail leading off the back starts close to where most of the climbs and rock garden are at…so we won’t miss anything by coming out the way we go in.

Option 2. Coming out at the top puts us almost in view of the interstate along with huge amounts of parking. We could park some of the rigs there and run back down (ride with someone that is driving back) about 5 miles...and pick up the trucks and trailers and come back and load them up. If we choose this option, I'll gladly stay with the rigs to insure no one messes with anything until everyone gets back with their trailer.

Any other ideas?

MpCrewcab

Loc.
Jefferson, WI
tires+full hydro steering+coilovers+4 link =nasty highway speed/travels. We would vote a close drop and pick up with the 2 place trailer. I'm thinking Alan would be optioning for that with a similar setup. Im ok with inflating and running a top speed of 30ish for no more than a few miles of that hopefully. Either way we'll be there.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I drafted some good help for next weekend to see if I can pull of getting the ol girl together in time!!!
recent pic's
slimpics-072.jpg

slimpics-081.jpg

Any body wanna start a pool?? Will she make it?

NICE job Slim. I am diggin the cage. I will fwd this to my buddy who used to have the full size white and blue on 44's. He will like it as well.
Hope you are doing well,
Karl
ps. sorry for the hijack

Matlock

Any good trails @ Royal Blue for buggies????

....I don't like to crawl too much;D

How 'bout it Greg Baker, Karl, Steven.....
any tough spots???

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any good trails @ Royal Blue for buggies????

....I don't like to crawl too much;D

How 'bout it Greg Baker, Karl, Steven.....
any tough spots???

I have not run that before either Joe- Maybe someone will chime in as to the trails and if there are any hp hills :)
kb

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I have not run that before either Joe- Maybe someone will chime in as to the trails and if there are any hp hills :)
kb

The rock garden is technical along with tons of articulation being required. The V-notch has typically 2 different lines however, you can pick a line to make it as tough as you like up to impossible. The wall area…beside the rock garden…has no less than 5 lines but yet again you can make it as hard as you like. 3 leg is a long off camber rock slab climb that if wet, requires the use of plenty of the skinny peddle.

This trial can be what you make of it…a nice trail with some challenging areas (I would not recommend this trail for anyone with less than 33’s, at least 1 locker or LS’s front and rear…along with a winch) and then some kick butt obstacles at the top. I’ve ran this trail many times. My old EB was locked front and rear with 36” TSL’s and 5:13 gears and on occasions (if wet) I’d still have to pull a cable. And those here that have ridden with me know I’m not shy about loading one up and pulling the trigger… ;D

We call this the sand mine trail as it used to be just that…a sand mine. There are a lot of neat sights along the way, like the old wheel house and the over look where rail cars were loaded and sent dang near vertical down the mountain. Within some of the bluffs you’ll see old sand stone structures (or what’s left) of where miners would store supplies. So in short it’s kind of a scenic trail that offers many different ranges of challenges.

I’m 100% positive all that show up will not regret it as there is something for everyone.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Okay just so there's no shock...just like Wind Rock, Royal Blue is a permitted area. The good thing is there only needs to be one person in the vehicle with a permit. Unlike Wind Rock where each individual has to have one. Okay, here's the bad...for out of state, a one day permit is $30.50. However, if you have a rider that happens to be in state, the cost is much cheaper...something like $12.50 but I'll have to check tomorrow to be certain. Also if the in state person happens to have a Tennessee hunting and fishing licenses, it's free as this covers the riding also.

Or you can chance it. I'm not saying we won't run into anyone from TWRA but I've never seen one on this side of the mountain. They usually stay on the East side where tons of ATV's ride. That and considering they ride in side-by-side's, which would very difficult to get to where we are going...;D

I can give directions to a local store that sells the permits...which happens to be close to Shoney's.

I'll do my best to answer any questions and if I don't know, I'll find out.

Anthony.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Do we have to have a permit for the sand mines

Afraid so...it's a part of Royal Blue. But of coarse if someone is riding with you that happens to be from Tennessee...then it's $12.50. If they have a hunting permit, it's free. Hopefully we can get enough instate riders to come so everyone has at least one person in each rig...hopefully.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I have run the Sand Mine trail twice. It's not worth the trip from Windrock up there or the money imho. I have not been in the rock garden Anthony is talking about. I can't imagine it's any better than Rattle Rock and I don't want in Rattle Rock again until I make some major changes in the old bronco so.....
option 3. Ride Windrock again on Saturday. I'm not trying to put a damper on the Sandmine ride just letting everyone know that if they want to ride Windrock again on Sat I'm game. If everyone else wants to run the Sand Mine trail on Sat that's cool too.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I have run the Sand Mine trail twice. It's not worth the trip from Windrock up there or the money imho. I have not been in the rock garden Anthony is talking about. I can't imagine it's any better than Rattle Rock and I don't want in Rattle Rock again until I make some major changes in the old bronco so.....
option 3. Ride Windrock again on Saturday. I'm not trying to put a damper on the Sandmine ride just letting everyone know that if they want to ride Windrock again on Sat I'm game. If everyone else wants to run the Sand Mine trail on Sat that's cool too.

No problem as everyone is entitled to their opinion...though I happen to disagree with yours. I too enjoy wind rock and have ran many of the trails there. This is just another option for those that might want to see what else this area has to offer. Oh, and the difference between rattle rock and the garden is about 7920 feet...;D as rattle rock is about 1-1/2 miles and the garden is roughly about 150 feet...maybe a little longer. So if you think you've gotten in over your head it won't take very long to get out. That and you can actually see what you are getting into and for those that like to watch don't have to park a half a mile away as its right beside the trail and you can see the whole thing.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Where'd you find that? I looked around a little on the TWRA & TN.gov sites and couldn't find any mention of it. Does that apply to Windrock, Royal Blue, or both?

BTW
The TN basic resident hunting/fishing license is $28.

It only covers TWRA managed property. Unfortunately Windrock and Royal Blue are two separate managed areas so no, one permit does not cover both places. The hunting and fishing license along with a TWRA small game permit gives access to all of TWRA managed areas....thus allowing the use of OHV's. This has been confirmed by permits sellers along with a couple of TWRA rangers.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntlicense.html
North Cumberland Special Use Permits
These permits may be purchased for horseback riding, bicycling, and ORV use. Youths under age 13 and persons holding a valid annual or permanent hunting license with a valid permit to hunt on these areas are exempt. At least one occupant of an enclosed vehicle must possess the proper permit(s). No permit shall be required on certain roads/trails as designated.
TYPE DESCRIPTION COST
035 Resident Annual Permit $61.00
036 Resident Daily Permit $12.50
037 Non-Resident Annual Permit $191.00
038 Non-Resident Daily Permit $30.50

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
OK I didn't scroll down far enough to see that. So for Royal Blue, it's either $12.50/day for the ORV permit, or $28/yr + ($10.50/day, or $61/yr) for the hunting permits.

For Windrock, it's $17/day, or $33/two, or $44/three, or $55/four, or $88/yr.

And your plan is: 2 days on Windrock ($33 + map) & 1 day on RB ($12.50). $45.50 in trail fees.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
OK I didn't scroll down far enough to see that. So for Royal Blue, it's either $12.50/day for the ORV permit, or $28/yr + ($10.50/day, or $61/yr) for the hunting permits.

And your plan is: 2 days on Windrock ($33 + map) & 1 day on RB ($12.50). $45.50 in trail fees.

Yep, that's about the way it shakes down. Myself, I get a yearly hunting/fishing/small game permit...$45. It not only allows me to ride but gives me the option to go armed...;D

Matlock

I consider that a true bargin, considering one ticket to any sporting
event would easily cost more if not double and you only recieve 3 hours
of entertainment versus 3 days of enjoyment. Please DO NOT consider
trail fees usurious or a burden as most have ten of thousands invested
plus the costs the tow rigs and trailers.