• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHOAA... noise, loud

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well, like the last 2 yrs cams are hard to get. Least the huge cu in SBF stuff I always spec out.

I can get Isky to grind one and get it to me with 2 days b4 I leave for the sand dunes in August. Everyone else is at least 8-16 weeks out. Bullet, everyone. Comp has one that is close and I am trying to chase down a Howards in NJ that is in stock.

Dang, gotta pull the front end off the engine and then fine tune when I get back.

Oh, did I mention cam prices went up like cereal and meat at the grocery?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Tons of oil flying about on both sides- second check I did besides a visual. Thanks.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
o_Oo_Oo_O That is just beyond belief. So much of the roller gone it chewed into the body. Could a roller have missed heat treating. Just really stinks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think that was anything to do with lack of lubrication on the cam lobe. More like either high friction in the trunnion, or, probably the most common heard complaint with lifters these days, improper metallurgy.
That, or some other defect in manufacturing.

Are you even supposed to use assembly lube on rollers? Maybe if it’s gonna sit for a while before start up?
Seems like oil was the most recommended. But I suppose that’s just for putting together an engine that’s going to be run very soon after.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Cam lube gets wiped off early with a microscopic film left to help lube till oil is flowing everywhere.

Agree with everyone... it wasn't lack of oil or type of oil it's just wasted and I've spent the last 4 hours calling all across the country looking for a cam that will work in my typical, not stock application. :)

Thanks for agreeing that "it sucks", cause it sure does! :(

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Spare parts... lol

Out of a big stroker from a few yrs back. (no it's not a proflow) :)

Nice '70's rake! :)

Attachments

• 20240717_161313.mp4
    33.6 MB
  • 20240717_161736.jpg
    20240717_161736.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here's a good angle t I see how much it wore!

Oh well, spent from my first post this am 1 hr ago chasing cam leads across the US.

Time suck. Time to pull the rad, pull the HB, lwr the pan enough to remove the front cover, probably 20 more connections to figure out which way they slide or queeze or which tab gets pushed to disconnect! lol

Attachments

• 20240717_170911.jpg
    20240717_170911.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1

mrdrnac

Contributor
WOW! Never seen that destruction to a lifter. What a nightmare... Good Luck to you getting it back running.