• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

427 Stroker

68ford

Bronco Guru
Breaking stuff will definitely happen. I have a 4 link in the rear with a floater rear end. I am sure I will need to replace the TC. Not sure about the 4R70W. Dana 44 also could be in trouble

I am wondering the same about a AOD living behind a 427. I have the old engine out of my race truck that is a 4.125 bore RPM brand block. It has a Callie's crank and Carrillo rods along with all sorts of other good stuff. It made 560hp at 6200 and 540 tq at 4600. I'm just concerned about trans and d20 strength if i rebuild it and put it in the bronco.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You prolly won't break a 205. It doesn't have as low of a low gear but you won't need it with all that power.
It will bolt to the back of your AOD or 4R70W with no adapter.
Back in the day (the 90's) guys were building AOD trannyss that could take anything. But lots of upgrades were required. In stock form the 4R70W is stronger than the AOD.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Any header suggestions. Thinking I may need to fab my own. Some nice kits out there.

Welcome to the Monsters club!

I agree with the posts above...

Just some things to consider:

* Make sure it will run cool all day long.... Because if it over heats in an hour of running or when you step on it...it's no good!
* These motors need to breath.... Don't waste your money going with a 427 if you plan on using off the shelf headers... It will choke the sh$t out of it... 1 5/8 primaries are too small...
* These motors with EFI need large injectors for adequate fueling...look for an engine management system that has very strong injector drivers or you will not be able to obtain a good low idle condition.
* Think of supporting your rear end with some type of traction bars...do not rely on your suspension to hold your rear end in place when you hammer it...

Good Luck!

Aloha...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stacy David is building a 1,000 HP blown big block truck and backing it with a (built and modified) 4R70W. I wouldn't be bolting a junkyard 4R70W to a 427 or other monster power engine, but if built right it should work. Just look at what kind of power that little C4 can take once it is built for it.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Probably have to modify or go custom as far as headers. They need 1 3/4. Mine go from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 after about 8 inches then into 1, 3.5in pipe then split again to 2 3in mufflers and tailpies to just above the axle , drive side header goes over the back of the engine in the dash. Very unique sound.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Mustang shorties if you need a tight fit... 1 3/4" primaries...will hit the frame rail on the DS but hey, if you're building a 427 then you'd better figure fitting a header will be one of the simplest things you can do...

I don't want to jinx anything but my 4r70W has been behind my stroker for ten's of thousands of miles... not a mall crawler.

Last edited:

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Custom...

....have to modify or go custom as far as headers. They need 1 3/4.

68ford is correct....
I tried 2'' SS tube, then 1 7/8... could not get enough spark plug access to justify complete build out...
The largest I can fit is 1 3/4 primaries, LT ....w/ 3'' full dual exhaust

Aloha

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
So while I wait for parts I am trying to determine my induction and headers.

Headers are looking like a I will have to make a custom set. Looks like a lot of work but should be doable unless someone make a close 1 3/4" shorty that I can modify.

I am leaning towards the edelbrock Pro Flo 4 with 42 lb injectors. Edelbrock tells me it supports about 625 hp and only needs about 4-6 in vacuum to idle properly. I am still not convinced that it will be able to handle this motor. What do people think.

The other option is a custom built KB carb or AED carb. KB seems quite reputable and informative to talk to. I think max power would be a carb but the FI does make for some better drivabiltiy and starting I would think. Also better off camber. KB does build a really custom float less carb that they claim would be the answer also. Not sure.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Edelbrock knows there parts and the have been very helpful even with older systems. I would go with some type of EFI over carb. I am running the Mustang/Lighting based system with custom tune. I bought it done so I don't have all of the details. The goal of the original owner was 600+hp for the engine, then procharger supercharger and nitrous = 1000hp. I am running just the motor itself.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
For whatever its worth...

I'm right at the limit of my 65 lb. PTE injectors... when I'm spinning it at 7K...

For SEFI... its the injector drivers that determine the idle quality not the vacuum.... Carbs need vacuum to idle properly...

Generally, it takes @ 1.5 ms to open the injector.... The larger the injector...the stronger the drivers need to be, to snap the injector open and close fast enough for good low idle quality...

Good Luck!

Aloha

Last edited:

millerpz

68ford

Bronco Guru
Those Clear Image Automotive look nice and we'll built. Nice how the collector points back and not down like the mad dog headers. If you use mad dogs and do not have side fuel tank you have to run a really tight 90 so the exhaust stays close to the floor and not look like it hangs down for no reason.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Mac's 1 3/4" primaries for 5.0 Mustangs...you will have to adjust the outlet direction on the PS but that's easy...buy them, do the necessary mod's and then ceramic coat them.
Pros:
Custom, perfect fit
1 3/4" primary
Save hundreds

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I need to check with these header guys to see if they make them with the 3” bolt spacing of the AFR heads

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Maddog fenderwell headers with AFR heads they fit well. The first tube angle makes it hard to get the bolt in on the inside of the angle though. Well built. We changed to V band collectors.

Dawson410

Loc.
Dawsonville, Ga.
I'm running clear imagine headers and afrs, Great header and business!

I went zf5 speed and np205 so I moved outside as well. 1 3/4 primary's for 408.