• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

427 Stroker

68ford

Bronco Guru
Do you know what heads he is running? I have read numerous build with 4.250 cranks in SBF and it seems that everyone agrees it takes HUGE heads to feed those cubic inches.if it's in the race branco I think you're talking about, I assume he has big Cleveland heads on it like almost all of SBF in oddroad racing.

68ford

Bronco Guru
That's the same bore stroke as your engine right? Just .030 more bore?
After seeing my 438 dyno results, unless only going for low end torque and not over 5000rpm, those heads seem small.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome thread! I'm late to the party. I think the Dana 20 and possibly the rear axle will be the weak links unless they are upgraded--depending on how you drive it. Stock stuff can last and built stuff can break depending on how it's driven.

Two things I wish I would have done differently.

1.) I wish I would have gone with an aftermarket block. Not so much for the extra cubes but you start with good (thick) cylinders that don't need to be bored so much. I feel this would help in cooling the beast. And the extra cubes would be awesome!

2.) I wish I would have gone with a roller cam bock. The same engine in a roller as mine has an additional 100 HP at redline (which I believe people that build these take them to). At the time I didn't think I was going to "need" more than 415 hp/450 tq. Then I built from the engine back and would welcome more HP. I don't really worry about breaking anything but I don't do full power 6K shifts like nvrstuk LOL. I do always have a new complete rear driveshaft close, though.​

Also, I went 9.64:1 CR and I would probably go higher if I had it to do again. Not sure what I could get away with but maybe at least 10.0:1 or 10.5:1 without too aggressive timing. When I had this engine built I wasn't looking for anything crazy but that has a way of changing. It's easier to limit HP with your right foot than add it after the fact. That is if your right foot is connected to your brain. Or with a rev-limiter. My experience is that I would build more than I want up-front as it's cheaper then modify whatever breaks after the fact.

I'm running a carb right now but want to go EFI. Nothing really makes me buy it, though. Interesting reading the OP's research.

There's some questions I had in my build thread that you have. Keep us posted on how you fuel that beast. :cool:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I run 205 CNC ported Trick Flow...If I had 20 more cubes I would have bought 225's, with 42 more I definitely would have but maybe Ford doesn't make any that size...cubes need air...new head technology creates high velocity for quick throttle response even at lower
rpms... This crate Boss 351 punched out to a 460 sounds wicked...

438 - Bore x stroke (in): 4.150" bore x 4.250" stroke

418 - I'm running 4.030" x 4.10" stroke

Last edited:

68ford

Bronco Guru
The SBF 460 really needs Cleveland heads. With that many cubes, you need the extra wide exhaust patter and big primaries. With already doing that, there really is no additional expense to running Cleveland heads. I would have ran Cleveland on my 438 if I thought I had room around the chassis

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 4.040" bore x 4.0" stroke. Running an Edelbrock Performer Top End (2092). Mine's actually a 410W but who calls them that?

Do the Cleveland heads flow that much better than modern heads? Just a question.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I have a 4.040" bore x 4.0" stroke. Running an Edelbrock Performer Top End (2092). Mine's actually a 410W but who calls them that?

Do the Cleveland heads flow that much better than modern heads? Just a question.

Out of the box alloy Clevelands are similare to the trickflow 240cc high ports(highest flowing Windsor inline head as far as I know). But you can find cnx ported clevlends that flow way more.
Example my 438 with AFR 220 renegades and a pretty big cam has peak HP at 5600rpm and made 560HP. Not that high rpm. Friend of mine has a 440 ish Windsor with ported clevlends and his HP peak is around 6700 with a similar cam and made 675 HP. Mine made 565 torque his 640. Compression ratio same. Torque peak is about the same 4500rpm. It's like the torque comes on but they continue to breath better. All depends what you want it to do. 460 is a lot of cubes to feed if you want it to Rev pas 5500.

Most off-road race truck in the unlimited class or Trophy truck class are Windsor blocks with clevlend heads. About 75% are SBF. The least are small Chevy's spread bore blocks. There are maybe 3 using the LS platform.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYJV8d3DFr5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=185yttcbibjfo

pbwcr

Yup, and a Patton motor is around $40k and there is a lot more to his motors than heads.
In the 460 race truck 5500 is about the highest it ever sees. Its is not intended to be a drag race motor that only sees higher revs for a few seconds. Steady as you go is what the Ford 460 is all about.

nvrstuk

Contributor
All I know is I need more power...500hp isn't enough...not even... :)

I need more air...

68ford

Bronco Guru
Yup, and a Patton motor is around $40k and there is a lot more to his motors than heads.
In the 460 race truck 5500 is about the highest it ever sees. Its is not intended to be a drag race motor that only sees higher revs for a few seconds. Steady as you go is what the Ford 460 is all about.

But one thing all his Ford's have, is clevlend heads. Same as Dougans and Kroyer SBF. They also make over 900HP 😁

nvrstuk

Contributor
Distributor? What's that?? I don't run one because I was planning on a roots style blower snout being in the way... :) seriously looking at a centrifugal the last year...I like the progressive power increase...that much power coming on that fast with a roots could be a bit spooky...

Buddyacross the field has 606 dyno'd HP out of his LS pwr'd blower driven '70 Chevelle... yeah, bit wild.

Last edited:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Distributor? What's that?? I don't run one because I was planning on a roots style blower snout being in the way... :) seriously looking at a centrifugal the last year...I like the progressive power increase...that much power coming on that fast with a roots could be a bit spooky...

Buddyacross the field has 606 dyno'd HP out of his LS pwr'd blower driven '70 Chevelle... yeah, bit wild.

A neighbor Buddy has a blown 396 tubbed Impala with similar HP. It was originally a straight-six and was his first car. Built for running stoplight to stoplight. Don't look at the front license plate--he's a great friend and helped me on my EB build...

ggQknG-vYNtYlMEKpO2_lQzOtOrAOegV3FJ0Lqu9dP4i_81SZ_MHqP8TPdBXCP_H3S1DnqZBE96UACJKf0E9SeGp834LqLoaxAV8YfXfQPsmHc7L7jqloNRaZxmRXwokeTh9xGbKAJJvAihYDCXoxCc9Qk-qn3CUKxSkwRsyOD0HcszBKZ0hl0zgX3csS5OZZ9BGtRWTQggDSaUqUXURJROli0PEoEUFmce3-tDYrmyErMH9KWM1b4SqO70WZPuKz7KIdv1koeUffgI22eyPolhxUypRsfQBYHGoqYgh9_dQl_zl2yEHoW2UHijbA1qARZhIN-fFbcRaIucwbTKI4EVIb-KjwLTLJXVhZvloxukEgQWbtfQYnfulVmkKuuwMcYTcq-dJdXF0bXQ-n0Prg7x_jZ97CYH6Pv3q198uujdaUNuxI9m9ZmbGiloAHjcUxkHr8x__rzUtA0rbh6ET5a6NnBQMIaXiSCJr4bmnbrzeYYWAB0ZE0YvASOdb-2hdId_Z81CIftzqtxrHX3VAMgpkq0x8fS9FcMzhUmpHkmlwhWsX6S5sytYJUJaqc9xlxZGfbw9F2reS4fzZN0o-mYRdWmd6QdLO2TnlSRsTokM1l1sA6upINk5SoufAaOZTtPBQvqJ2b7H6jVA3HPKgyYtDfA=w1279-h960-no

Do you need forged internals for a centrifugal blower? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

nvrstuk

Contributor
No you dont need forged internals but you'd better have everything dialed in right...the way it should be with forged...and yes, I am all forged internals with a static CR that was designed into the build for a blower...

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Got cam installed and clearances checked. Waiting for some parts to finish top end assembly. Moving forward. Pretty much planning on MS3 Pro EVO EFI management. Maybe distributorless. Not sure how many head aches I want.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Snag an Explorer cam sensor and drop it in the distributor hole! EDIS is awesome - I ran my carb with distributor less ignition for a few months using MegaSquirt before I had my fuel side ready.

(I have cubic inches envy!)

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got cam installed and clearances checked. Waiting for some parts to finish top end assembly. Moving forward. Pretty much planning on MS3 Pro EVO EFI management. Maybe distributorless. Not sure how many head aches I want.

I wish I knew more about this stuff. Obviously got more homework to do...