• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone install a ZF tranny in your rig? what did you do?

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
I may be able to buy a ZF tranny out of a 4wd F350. I got an np205 t-case from a 1976 F150. I heard the t-case and tranny bolts together. But what modifications will I need to do for the cross members? How far back will the tranny and t-case move back?( which will require me to get my driveshafts modified). I also know that the t-case will need to have it's own support.
Does anyoone have pic's? It needs to be posted in the tech articles for the 4wd version.

Should I forget the ZF all together and get a NV3550?

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
It's all about the abuse it will take and how low you want your first gear to be. ZF is tougher and heavier and has somewhere around a 5.76:1 first gear. Daily drivers find that to be too low and some consider themselves to be lugging around a dead gear.

The NV3550 has about 4:1 first gear and shifts a bit smoother. Also is closer in weight to the stock 3 speed at 97 pounds and still lighter than the unfathomably popular NP435.

Lots of other requirements, but first thing I'd do is search. Your questions have been answered already. There is a 2WD ZF conversion, for a bit of a savings over using the 4WD version, in the tech section to the left.

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
I just looked at advance adapters website. They don't say anything about driveline modifications with the dana 20 kit. I wonder if the tranny plus adapter kit keeps the drivshafts at factory length?

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
va bronco said:
I just looked at advance adapters website. They don't say anything about driveline modifications with the dana 20 kit. I wonder if the tranny plus adapter kit keeps the drivshafts at factory length?

You WILL have to mod the drive shafts. If I remember correctly, you end up with 2 shafts approx 29 1/2. Nice thing is that if you carry a spare, it will fit both. As for the "Dead gear" It will depend on your tires and gears. I run 33's with 4:10s. I start off the light in 2nd and it feels just about right, 5th has me turning about 2300rpm at 70 mph(helps with the MPG) and 1st is useful for climbing or going down a steep hill. Its a fantastic upgrade for an eb...

Rich

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
Thought of it but the tranny seems to be a hot item cause i'd have to spend some buck$ for the tranny then an adapter kit. The wife's uncle has the F350 and said he would let it go for $1800 to me. That's a complete truck then I could sell the motor( injected 351w) and 1 ton axles to recoup for the spending on the ZF tranny. But I don't offroad much and the 4:1 1st gear in the 3550 sounds better. Plus I don't have to modify my driveshafts. That's the #1 thing I'm looking at. I don't want to get new driveshafts or get mine cut cause the ones I have are good.

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
I agree. I will measure the driveshafts cause I have a 3.5" lift and I may be in the zone. If so, then I may go with the ZF. I'm not sure about using the internal hydraulic clutch. I've heard of people using external clutch cylinders. How is that possible with an enclosed BH?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I can't imagine being worred about modifying the driveshafts if your considering spending money on the NV3550 or the ZF. Both of which will require some spending of cash, the NV3550 will be much more than the ZF by the way. I run the ZF and so far love it, the 1st gear is super low when you need it and the 5th gear is a great overdrive with my 4.56 gears on the highway. I had a brand new rear driveshaft when I installed my ZF and had it cut down for 45.00 locally so no biggie really. The F-350 if it is a 94 or later has the 5.8 roller motor which is a nice find and should bring a few coins. I don't think any of the ZF trannies had and internal slave master? IF your uncles don't have one on the firewall, you may want to make sure that it is a ZF tranny after all? What year is the F-350?

Ben

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
1994 F350 4x4 crew cab long bed. It has the dana 60 front axle Sterling 10.25 rear. I think the sale on the axles would be enough to recoup on the spendage for installing the tranny and buying the truck. I figure the body is worth a couple of coins? If anyone wants the BW transfer case, its free. I don't know anybody who wants that.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Hunter said:
You WILL have to mod the drive shafts. If I remember correctly, you end up with 2 shafts approx 29 1/2. Nice thing is that if you carry a spare, it will fit both.
Rich

I was told that too but realized after installing my ZF that it was not true for my Dana 30, maybe for a 44?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Why don't you just drop the EB body on top of that F350 frame?
Make it fit and you will have a BADAZZ EB!!!

For $1800 I would do it......;D

Too bad it's not in Hawaii........

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I replaced the NP435 in my 83 Bronco with a ZF out of a 96 F-250. The NP208 transfer case bolted right up to it. I believe that the Ford NP205 has a 31 spline input, 6 bolt pattern and will bolt up directly but check that out. The NP208 will not fit between the frame rails on the EB. I installed a new clutch master cylinder which is quite easy and frees up a bunch of room for headers and exhaust. The internal slave cylinder assembly includes the release bearing so everything is new when you replace it. Total length was 3 1/8" longer that the NP435 which required building up a new set of driveshafts that I needed anyway. The ZF is a bit noisy and you will want to hang on to the foam noise blanket.

I'm running 31" tires with 3.55 gears which I believe is close to the stock configuration for that transmission. It works well for my purposes. Someday I'll put 4.11 and 33" tires on it. I picked up about 5 mpg highway driving and a whole lot less engine noise. All I have to do is drive 60 mph in 4th gear to get a reminder of the way things used to be. For the $1000 total spent on the tranny, drive shafts, and new clutch, it's a great upgrade. Low range gearing works very nice for light crawling and trail riding.

If money was not an option I would use the NV3550 with an atlas (3.0) 4.11 gears, 33" tires, and ARBs.

For the purist, The ZF conversion is all Ford!

Last edited:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I use the ZF in my DD and did in the racer. They are very strong and a easy install. Depending on which year ZF the front and rear driveshafts will both be about the same length. The pilot bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate are stock. The hydro. clutch is a good thing.

Redleg06

The ZF is definitely the way to go the 3550 is a car transmission not a truck transmission. Deep 1st gear, and overdrive you get the best of both worlds. I did mine without body lift so I had to fab a new tunnel cover, but everything was a Ford part except for the t-case adaptor to run the D20. Like the others have said 1 length driveshaft means you always have a spare, and big truck gears can take a lot more load than the 3550.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
va bronco said:
I also know that the t-case will need to have it's own support.
Does anyoone have pic's? It needs to be posted in the tech articles for the 4wd version.

Should I forget the ZF all together and get a NV3550?

Here are some ZF clutch pictures that might give you some ideas.

The rear cross member/transmission mount are on the bottom of the intermediate housing on the rear of the tranny just like the NP435 and the 3 speed that I just removed from my 70. Cross members are avaliable or can be fabbed up without too much difficulty.

Pic 1 is the hydraulic release bearing assembly. Top line is the bleeder and bottom is the pressure line.

Pic 4 shows the tranny mount right where the rope is wrapped around it. That is a NP-208 bolted up to it.

Attachments

• Bronco 022 (Medium).jpg
    Bronco 022 (Medium).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Bronco 033 (Medium).jpg
    Bronco 033 (Medium).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Bronco 120 (Medium).jpg
    Bronco 120 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Bronco 030 (Medium).jpg
    Bronco 030 (Medium).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

superslowmoe

Dave,

Did you use the stock master cylinder from the 96 truck? I plan to install a 94 f250 5.8 and ZF trans but with the D20 twin stick (running a pto winch). Have any specs on the firewall location for the MC and maybe rod length(stock?) or pivot location on the clutch pedal. Any help is much appreciated before I get to bustin the knuckles.

Thanks much.

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
Np205?

I got an np205 31 spline input sitting in my shop floor. I just feel at odds using it cause it's so heavy. I'd have to make a separate support member to hold it up. Is it possible to get yokes for the 205 to match the driveshafts? Where can I get them? I can't remember if the bronco yokes are 1310 or 1350?