• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone install a 5-speed tranny? which one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The AX15's were found as early as '88 in the Jeep YJ's and on until replaced with the 3550 I believe. But for some reason the AX is still in production, so it sounds like it's in newer vehicles than the 3550.
If going with an AX I would try to find as new a one as possible, in case there were upgrades. With gearboxes the need for manufacturing upgrades seems pretty common. Where the first year or years had issues here or there with strength, or popping out of a gear, or in the case of the beefy NV4500, even the rear output bearing retaining nut (or something like that) loosening up and backing off. Causing all sorts of problems, as you can imagine.

So it seems logical that a new, or if used, a lower mileage and newer year model unit would be called for.
In many cases an old one can be upgraded as it's being rebuilt though. So if you find a super cheap older unit and spending to have it rebuilt is still cheaper than buying new, that might be a good economical way to go.

Just conjecture though. Not much experience with used newer transmissions myself. Just old-school stuff.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and also found in some Dodge trucks (Dakota?) but it's possible the Jeep version is the most popular for Bronco swaps not only because it's more plentiful, but the input shaft spline and size is the same, or similar to the Ford. Not sure about the Dodge versions, but that's an easy check probably through the clutch manufacturers that give the size and spline count of the disc.

Paul