• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone install a 5-speed tranny? which one?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Having installed both the nv3550 and now the zf5. Nv3550 is a very easy and straightforward easy(think legos easy) install if you use a kit from when one of the vendors but it will sting the wallet a bit. That same bronco had a hot 306 4.88s and arbs and 38.5 5.5lift.....a owner with a led foot and then a blown rearend and transmission.. age of said driver have a lot to do with damage. But I know Bax has driven crazy horse many times and it has a 347 and 35 and such and if Bax did not break it...and its a very very sporty transmission...loved it in my old heep with 31s

I am running a 351w and zf5 with np205. Fabbed my crossmember for the transfer case. But less cost wise because everything was used. What I spent to get it all was a bit less then one of the kits. I also took my time to collect everything. (All means engine trans and transfercase..w/f250shell)

Like Jb said.. nv3550 is a nicer driving transmission, I have yet to drive a zf5 but Im not looking for a race car as these things get top heavy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
NV3550 requires no drive shaft or cross member mods.
That is a big bonus before you even consider how sporty it is. It is practically the same length as oem.
The M5OD doesn't need an adapter or special bell housing and if you use an NP205 you don't need an adapter for the Dana 20 but do need a cross member; the M5OD is a fairly sporty shifting tranny as well, but....big BUT here....I have heard that it will require new drive shafts as it is going to be longer than the stock set up. Two drive shafts being lengthened/shortened can be expensive and "most" of us will buy new drive shafts anyway.

The price gets up there quick.

Hard to say which is really cheaper or not,....I mean...if you need new drive shafts and a transfer case anyway then the M5OD and an NP205 looks cheaper...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Ironic that either "sporty shifting" trans puts you into an NP205.....

Too bad an NP241 or NP271 doesn't fit. Then you'd have a sporty shifting transfer case too.

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
I put an M5OD in mine from a 97 F150. Runs great and you don't need all the adaptors. I have an NP205 hooked to it. Very happy but would like to put 4:11 gears in as my 3:56 is pretty tall for 5th.

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
Sorry, a little off topic, but where can I get an NV3550 ? Do I have to find a used one?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
High Impact is one source. That's the Klune-V guy's widow (?) and from what I hear she's pretty sharp herself.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My choice ended up an NV4500 due to what the motor could throw out. If I had a more stock engine, say down at 350 torque, I would have gone NV3550 all day long and even then some do use it with 400hp/tq engines just fine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen conflicting reviews on whether the AX15 or the Nv3550 is the 'stronger' transmission. They seem very comparable in design, gear ratio, factory applications.

No real conflict that I've seen if you read between the lines. Like you have to almost all the time on the internet!
If taken out of context the AX-15 has a higher torque rating. But if taken with the GVWR into account, they might be closer. I don't know what the mathematical factors would be that you'd need to take into account to figure that out, but it's probably somewhere out there.

Gear ratios are definitely different in first gear (3.80-ish vs 4.50-ish?). The 3550 has a lower gear, which is good for off-roading or for getting rolling in a heavier rig. Or one with bigger tires and taller gearing.
Nothing wrong with the gears in the AX, but the first gear is closer to a stock 3-speed's 2.90 (with close ratio) or 3.20 (standard wide ratio found in most EB's) so not much of an advantage for the off-roader without lower transfer case or differential gearing

Is it that they are to comparable to differentiate or is one or the other a little stronger, looking for opinion.

Be careful asking for an "opinion" from people. Because that might be exactly what you get. And likely why your first sentence was about finding conflicting information. That's what the forums are full of, because different people actually do have different experiences in different circumstances and even look at things a little differently from each other.
Stronger can be relative in the real world, but since you can't know what the others are like and what they use for a point of reference, you need to stick to the specifics put out by the manufactures.

I did see back in the day that the same or comparable transmissions with taller first gears (in the close-ratio versions) also had higher torque ratings.
Not sure if this was due to the ratio changes, or if the manufacturers also changed other components to make them stronger, but it was something I noticed.
Can't compare apples to oranges though, as a truck trans with a granny low might have a higher torque rating than a car transmission with smaller components. Truck-specific trannies are usually the beef.

The 3550 and AX are "comparable" then, and both are good suitable Bronco transmissions. But there are still some minor differences.
The only one I usually think of when talking about Broncos and these transmissions is the first gear ratio. Other than that I can't see any big reasons for going one over the other.
Oh, but the 3550 does require a very specific lubricant and nothing else works. If I'm not mistaken (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) the AX can take a more standard type of gear lube. It's not hard to find the correct lube for the NV, but it's more expensive that what you can use in the AX.
So that might be considered a negative.

I have a 375 ft-400 ft# 351W planned for my 68, which wont see much offroad use.

Sounds nice. But remember that one of the biggest threats to a transmission is not just the engine's power (or the driver's right foot even) but the final gearing in the differentials and the tire size.
If you have tall gearing for the tires, and a lot of torque, guess what's stuck in between the engine and the road? The transmission (along with the transfer case and driveshaft of course).
Always factor in your personal willingness to push the go-pedal hard, and that's how to figure if a transmission is going to be good enough.

A lighter vehicle or less power is better for this. But so is better gearing. Which can make up for the other two.
Which all means don't scrimp on the gear if you want things to last longer. Or in other words, as they like to say around here, "don't fear the gear"!

After all, street driving can actually be harder on a drivetrain than going off road. More traction can be had, and more opportunities to utilize it.
But it still comes down to how you intend to drive it from the stoplights.

Sorry for the rambling. I just happen to think that both transmissions in question are good ones. There are just still some things to factor in.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Basically which one is best is your choice based on your wants and needs. None of them are bad or even wrong.

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
Has anyone installed an AX-15 without any body lift and/or tunnel cutting? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the AX-15 requires a 1" body lift...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe it's not that it's hard. Maybe it's just that nobody here's done it.
Or, if they have they just haven't seen your question yet.

I don't actually remember anyone ever talking about it. Seems almost automatic nowadays to use the body lift solution. Has too many positives not to for many of us. And since many have needed new body mounts anyway, they just did the 1" right off to avoid any issues? And others did it because they'd been told it was needed. And even among those that don't like body lifts, almost nobody really likes to cut their tunnel and doesn't want to get almost all the way there only to find out they need to cut.
How much cutting don't you want to do? I'm wondering if it 's just the shift tower that needs clearancing, or if there's more to it than that.
I'm sure someone will know.

As far as I know though, you need the 1" body lift to do all that without any cutting. Never tried it personally, and I'm betting that there are not near as many with the AX trans as there are with the long-serving NV transmission. AT least not yet.
They're very similar in size, but I don't know how exact they are to each other.

So now that it's back to the top maybe someone will see it that has different info. But again, all the discussions I've seen recently have all involved a body lift.
Nobody said it "couldn't be done" but nobody tried it that I remember.

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Dirtdonk this is slightly off topic but the fact that no ones never done it before isn't a solid reason to not do something, and I think you would agree. I only say that to say this:

For those that are unaware. Joe Lougee who used to frequent the forums is the developer and originator of the adaptor for the ZF trans and NOT one of the bronco providers who claims to be. Not trying to stir shit but rather give credit to someone that deserves it and got screwed over..

On topic though. I have a ZF trans with 35 gears and love it. However, I would agree that unless you have a crazy torquey motor then go with better than a 4.56 gear if running something in the 35" tire range. Ask me how I know.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That and he has buried the question on the 4th page of a thread that has mostly been covered. The thing to have done would be to start a new thread and ask if an AX15 will fit without a body lift. That way you are targeting people who have done the AX15 for a direct response. A lot of people following this thread have left once it started deverging into transfer cases and the original question was well answered.

It's not a bad question to ask, just it was put in a bad place to get the proper traffic for a good answer.

RPM289

I put an M5OD in mine from a 97 F150. Runs great and you don't need all the adaptors. I have an NP205 hooked to it. Very happy but would like to put 4:11 gears in as my 3:56 is pretty tall for 5th.

I am running a stock 3 speed w 4:11 and 38.5 tires now and think this is the way I want to go on mine, like keeping Ford stuff on it. Is the NP205 what came in F150? And did you have to modify drive shafts? Seems cheaper to go this way than all the adapters needed for other trannies and still handle some wheeling too.