• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Please, got my 3.5" coils are these right ??????????????????????????

pnavarro170

Ordered these progressive rate coils from Sexton Offroad, they are suppose to be for 3.5" lift, but they measure just as long as 5.5" ones it looks like. Here are some pics, they are 22.5" long and second pic are suppose to be rancho 3" ones. So are they really gonna compress that much. yes they have more give than the rock hard rancho ones but want to make sure now. ?????

Let me know guys. thanks

011-3_zps9c92f308.png

here it is next to the rancho 3" one
012-5_zps0dbc36a5.jpg

crab

Bronco Guru
I'd be willing to bet they are correct. The progressive sag a lot and will settle more over time.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
hmmm id call em ask how long they supposed to be.........looks like they about 5 inches taller than the rancho? thats alota spring!

OP
OP
pnavarro170

pnavarro170

sent an email, will call tomorrow, still would think someone has come across this and or has measurements to work with. I know the top few coils should compress, but still seems like alot to ask, wont have axle under it in the next few days so need to make sure now.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you look at most progessive coils when installed and weight is on them most of the top coils will almost be touching even seen some where they do touch. More lor less I'd expect about the top 6 coils to be compressed when installed so that puts it real close to the ranchos in height all said and done. Of course the other cols will probably compress slightly as well so i'd say your probably fine.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I installed WildHoreses 3.5inch coils and thought they seemed tall.So I ask them what the measurements were 3.5" = 20.125" w/12.8 coils
4.5" = 20.625" w/13.75 coils.the pictures are with out the engine or running gear.I had a ranch 3inch lift to and they look short compared to the new ones!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 3.5inch lift 034.jpg
    3.5inch lift 034.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.5inch lift 007.jpg
    3.5inch lift 007.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
pnavarro170

pnavarro170

well ive seen the 5.5" wild horses one, and yeah the top springs are basically riding each other. but im still concerned now, they were just as long as another 5.5" spring without any weight on them.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Look at the diff. in the thickness of the coil. The smaller progressive will compress a lot when you get it loaded, but man do they ride nice. I had a 'Stupidlift' on mine at one time, might as well had solid bars welded in%)

Jim W.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
Just confirm with WH with the unloaded measurement and part number and you'll be fine. You may have a slight prerunner look before full settlement and you may choose to adjust your rear stance to your taste. The biggest issue is front DS bind if you run correct/positive front castor with a stock, low pinion front axle. Check your full droop once springs are installled and try spinning the front DS by hand. If you bind at the u-joint you may need some clearancing or castor compromise. Good luck!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Just confirm with WH with the unloaded measurement and part number and you'll be fine.

That would work great if they came from us.;D
The height of a coil without the wire diameter may not help. For example our 3.5s and 5.5s measure pretty much the same uninstalled length. The difference is the wire diameter. A set of calipers is a great tool to have. I'm sure Sexton will have the answer for you but i would expect those to be correct.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
If they are anything like the Cage coils they will flatten out. You may notice your front end floating up and down while driving due to being so soft and very flexible. I seem to remember Blazingchuck needed a antisway bar to help with turning while driving. Maybe chuck will comment on this a lil more if he seesnthis thread.

OP
OP
pnavarro170

pnavarro170

I just talked to Dusty from Sexton offroad, he says they are in fact CAGE coils that i got. so they should compress alot, it it aint the height i want it then im gonna need to cut it a bit i guess.

yakelys69

The 3.5" deaver linear rate springs measure 1.5" shorter at 21". From the other comments it sounds about right.

OP
OP
pnavarro170

pnavarro170

Still a tad worried, sexton offroad couldnt provide me with any measurments of these and the 5.5" ones they sell or maybe old stock CAGE ones. And i do know some 5.5" coils that are the same lenth as these. ugh.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I have the sexton/cage 3.5 set up on my LUBR and i feel it's taller than 3.5, but I haven't measured or driven on them. Might put them on the uncut because they're so tall.

OP
OP
pnavarro170

pnavarro170

I have the sexton/cage 3.5 set up on my LUBR and i feel it's taller than 3.5, but I haven't measured or driven on them. Might put them on the uncut because they're so tall.

so you dont have pics of them on ? installed ? or unistalled ? or any measurements installed or unistalled ?

My69Pony

I put a set of Sexton 3.5" coils on my Bronco just prior to Bronco Safari this year. I drove from the garage to the trailer without so much as a test run. The morning after arriving in Moab, I unloaded and went for a quick test drive. On a little road in back of the campground, I jumped on the throttle and about lost it. The springs are so much softer then the old super lift coils I took off that the front end came up. I went back to my site because I need to set the toe (new tie rods also) and when trying to jacking the front end up to make it easier, my high-lift jack wouldn't go high enough to get the front tires off the ground. When I finally took it out on a trial, the ride was a dream compared to the old springs, so much less bouncy. I couldn't tell you what the height of the coils where before installing them, but they looked a lot like what you have. I didn't think it was possible to get the coils in, and then to have it the right height, but everything seems good to go. I added a couple quick flex pictures, the rock was the first one I could find to test out the new springs. The flex limit is not even close to being done in these pictures, a bigger rock would have equaled more flex.
Brian

Attachments

• 2013-05-02_10-14-07_875.jpg
    2013-05-02_10-14-07_875.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2013-05-02_10-14-35_109.jpg
    2013-05-02_10-14-35_109.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2013-05-02_10-14-59_976.jpg
    2013-05-02_10-14-59_976.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
so you dont have pics of them on ? installed ? or unistalled ? or any measurements installed or unistalled ?

No measurements but here's a pic on 33's. I also have cage arms, some say these add a little lift. Not sure.
jenapety.jpg

And here's another but bad quality

8araduba.jpg