• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

picked tbird EFI....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i thought it would have taken the power it need's from the battery.

It does. Or at least it tries, but all it sees is a reduced, and slowly fading voltage signal if the alternator is not charging it up. It'll run, but eventually start running crappier and crappier, until it won't run any more.
Not the best setup.

Now, that doesn't mean that lack of low-idle charging is the source of all problems, but it doesn't help things. Especially while the computer is trying to learn what's going on in the virtual world.

Paul

twister01

Loc.
modesto
Efi

Mitch dont give up you been working on this too long to give up now! there are a lot of smart people on here that have been helping you doing a lot of homework on this efi. Be patient you will get it figured out.Dave

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
ya.... just really sucks when all my buddy's go wheeling and i cant...and everyone has fun driving in the snow and i can't.
crying over..

I replaced the ACT and the collent temp sensor with no luck...now it wont stay running by it's self.
ill half to keep my foot on the gas....

i just dont understand....why would it start up run GRATE! then after a sec or two idels way down and stumbles and runs like crap..:cry:

ransil

Bronco Guru
think im going to warranty out my 02 sensors and try that..

unlikely, they are a pretty solid part..

did yo check for 5 vdc on the MAF yet??

ACT & ECT are pretty easy to test they are usually good or bad so just putting an ohmmeter on them at ambient temperature ( compare reading to chart) will tell you if they are good or bad, and then hit them with a heat gun to see if react.

Are all your grounds secure and good?
sheet metal screws make for shitty grounds

not sure I seen it listed.
what is you timing set to? set to 10 btc and it should run Ok.

Did you check for vacuum leaks?
Did you clean the EGR valve when you installed the motor, they can get crapped up and stick open.
make sure you do not have vacuum going to the EGR valve when idling..

Test the TFI connector ( pin 3 & 4 I think) one should be 12 vdc in run and the other 12vdc in start only..

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
quick update.
the bronco is at EB101 house and we been fiddling with it.

found the fuel pump is no holding the pressure when you rev it up.

think i had a bad fuel injector. we swaped them out and it ran a little better.

but think we found the problem.
the computer is not getting any reading from the 02 sensors. we pluged them and it didnt run any better or worse.

but it will seem to stay running now.

next we are going to wire up the netural safty switch,check all the sensors, and go over the 02 sensors wiring.

AussieBronco

Sorry to hea you're still having problems. Let me know if you want me to take any pics of mine or trace wire colors etc. I'm not sure but for some reason think that the codes are 3 numbered codes. I will have a look at my code reader tomorrow and see.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well, i don't think im getting any power to the o2 sensors, and im not sure why.

do you have your neutral safety switch hooked up at all?

cus i took the wires out of the plug and my friends code reader say's "vehicle not in park" and won't read anything else till it's in park.
so im just going to hook the wires up and hope it will tell me everything that's wrong.
tho im sure it's my wiring now.

AussieBronco

I do not have my neutral safety switch hooked up, but after reading ransil's post I am planning on hooking it up. My engine seems to hang at high idle and hopefully this might fix the problem. My harness was very complete when I recieved it so I had all the 02 plugs connected. There was one random relay in the harness that I believe is the harness for the 02 sensors, I'm wondering if maybe yours is missing. It's been a while since I've even popped the hood, so I'm going completely from memory, but let me know if you want wire colors, pics of 02 sensors or what this relay I'm talking about.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Come on man get it runnin!!!!!!!! good 11 pages of what so far I havent ran into but mine aint ready to crank yet either!

ransil

Bronco Guru
I do not have my neutral safety switch hooked up, but after reading ransil's post I am planning on hooking it up. My engine seems to hang at high idle and hopefully this might fix the problem. My harness was very complete when I recieved it so I had all the 02 plugs connected. There was one random relay in the harness that I believe is the harness for the 02 sensors, I'm wondering if maybe yours is missing. It's been a while since I've even popped the hood, so I'm going completely from memory, but let me know if you want wire colors, pics of 02 sensors or what this relay I'm talking about.

stock harness did/do not have relays in for the O2.

sstclair

Mitch brought his rig over the other day and we've been working on it. Here's what we found since the FP.
The NSS has to hooked to ground on his tbird setup. According to the wiring diagram it was supposed to go to a switched 12v. So we got that going and finally got the codes. It showed a problem with the o2 circuit. We got that fixed and all the codes went away except for the egr/thermactor ones which that stuff has been removed.

It actually runs pretty well now except.. Idle is rougher than it probably should be and even worse, he dove it around the block and coming back you could here a little backfire as if spark might have been intermittent and it would barely pull itself for a bit.

It was getting late at that point, and cold. So we'll pick it up in the day
light this weekend and see if we can get it to quit long enough to troubleshoot it. It's a lot closer.

-Steve