• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please help I've got a problem...

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Ok I just installed my new Edlebrock 2181, and new Carb I got everything put back together it runs great!

BUTT, I have white smoke only on the right tailpipe, of a dual exhaust system so I am guessing I didn't do something quite right on the install, and I'm burning antifreeze? Am I right? Or other possibilities?

Ok if i am right what's the fix? Can I take off the manifold and put a little silicone around the water jackets? Do I need to buy new intake manifold gaskets?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Yes, new gaskets. I have done a few intakes and I used a little RTV around the water jackets per a suggestion from a mechanic at work.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
x2 on new gaskets. Leaks like that are often caused by having old gasket left behind. Make sure both sides are clean when you reinstall. Hi-temp RTV only. Give it 24 hours to cure before running it again.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Ok dumb question...I went out to start the bronco, to show buddy what it is doing, and nothing it ran great nothing out of the tailpipe...

I wonder...what is going on?

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Coolant level drop most likely. That is if you didn't replace the coolant that got burnt out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The problem happens with aluminum intakes installed with gaskets without steel reinforcement like the FelPro 1250. The aluminum intake expands at a different rate than the iron head, tearing the gasket.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Careful use of rtv, quality gasket (!), good prep' and you will be fine.
Don't worry too much as this is an uber common mistake. You are in good company. Haha