• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What have you done to your Bronco today?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thought about setting it on FIRE!!!

Let's see....

Went to the junkyard to pull a fan clutch from a 97 Explorer V8 to replace my faulty one. Turns out the crappy Chinese fan wrenches I rented from Advance Auto were a bit larger than advertised. It's supposed to be 36mm. After I rounded off the nut on the fan and ruined it, I came home and my caliper measured the wrench at 39mm!!! WTF??? Guess you get what you pay for. That was the ONLY V8 explorer on the lot and a new clutch is $100!!! Not sure what route I'm gonna take on this one.

After that, I went to have a PS pressure line made for my 4x4x2 box I am attempting to install in place of my scout box. They RAPED me for $90.00. Turns out I could have purchased the same line for $24.99 from BCs!!!

Came home to install the 4x4x2 using the adapter plate from West Coast. I found out, after the fact, this plate is part of a batch of bad plates that has alignment issues. Had to ream out the frame a bit to bolt it on. Went to bolt the 4x4x2 to the adapter plate only to find that it too is out of alignment and will require I ream the box holes about 1/4". Even if I do get the box bolted to the plate, it places the box very low on the frame and will prevent me from installing my pressure line since I am using an adapter at the port and then a 90 degree fitting so it extend out a tad more than a stoke line. So there is no way I can use my expensive adapter plate with the PS line I want to run.

Anyway, I bolted the 4x4x2 to the front hole, drilled the lower rear hole and have stopped there for the day because, quite frankly, I do not have the balls to drill the upper rear hole at the angle required to keep it out of the cross member. Maybe tomorrow. Otherwise, I am gonna set it on fire.

FML :(

Thanks for letting me vent.

BTW- I know this stuff is all my fault and not the bronco's but someone has to be my scapegoat.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I haven't seen the fan clutch wrench from Advanced, but I do know that when you rent the tool from Autozone, you have to rent 2 different fan clutch tool kits they have. One of them has the correct 36mm open end flat wrench. The other one has the correct sized holder that slips over the water pump pulley bolts.

The holder that comes with the 36mm wrench is too small for the Explorer water pump pulley, and the wrench that comes with the correct sized holder is either too big or too small....I don't remember which way it is.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Here are the pics i promised. It finally stopped raining here. New chrome bumpers, hella lights, and 5.5" wildhorses leafs...

Luv it, kinda reminds me of mine!!! ;)

76sportHiResFoto.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Fired mine up too. Make sure there weren't no slow drains on the battery

Stuck the new RCVs close by. :)

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
Blasting Rusty Parts

Today i spent a couple of hours blasting and painting rusty parts in my blasting cabinet .:p

Attachments

• DSC06408.jpg
    DSC06408.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC06409.jpg
    DSC06409.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14

6daze

Question? What is "turn in the inner C"?

Fred

This is where the ball joints mount on a Dana 44. If you look at them from the front they look like a "C".

By rotating them back I gain caster, making the bronco handle much better. Right now with a 4.5" lift I have 0 caster. It wanders all over and has no return to center after a turn.

sriha

Haven't done anything to it for the last 3 weeks besides taking off the distributor boot to see if my HEI distributor would fit. Planning to make a fan shroud and install the distribtor this weekend. I hope...

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
This is where the ball joints mount on a Dana 44. If you look at them from the front they look like a "C".

By rotating them back I gain caster, making the bronco handle much better. Right now with a 4.5" lift I have 0 caster. It wanders all over and has no return to center after a turn.

Thanks 6daze.

Fred

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Me and BanjerPicker swapped my 3.5" coils for 4.5" ones to level things out a little. Made a HUGE difference IMO! Going 1" taller in the front is the way to go! :cool: