• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w vs 408

jlylec

I'm in the process of having a 351w built and somebody just told me its not actually the same size as the 302 and I may have fit issues. I thought these were nearly interchangeable? I knew it was a bit taller but is it wider and do the motor mounts line up? Sorry for the hijack but you guys are the only ones talking 351s right now and this didn't feel whole-thread-worthy!

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I'm in the process of having a 351w built and somebody just told me its not actually the same size as the 302 and I may have fit issues. I thought these were nearly interchangeable? I knew it was a bit taller but is it wider and do the motor mounts line up? Sorry for the hijack but you guys are the only ones talking 351s right now and this didn't feel whole-thread-worthy!

Motor mounts are the same but it is wider at the heads. If you're running 302 headers you may have an issue with the passenger side inner fender well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

There are a few points that are a tighter fit. But it does drop right in and bolt in place. Oil pan is different as the rear cap is larger and the pan has to match. The heads sit higher on the block, so anything related to that needs addressing as well. But that is fairly minor stuff. If you did a late model 5.0 you would have issues as well. Different but still have issues that have to be delt with. The gains of a 351 are worth the little changes. I have seen Broncos with a 351 that looked stock, I had to do a double take to realize it was a 351. They do fit that well.

jlylec

There are a few points that are a tighter fit. But it does drop right in and bolt in place. Oil pan is different as the rear cap is larger and the pan has to match. The heads sit higher on the block, so anything related to that needs addressing as well. But that is fairly minor stuff. If you did a late model 5.0 you would have issues as well. Different but still have issues that have to be delt with. The gains of a 351 are worth the little changes. I have seen Broncos with a 351 that looked stock, I had to do a double take to realize it was a 351. They do fit that well.

great to hear...thanks so much!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Here's to all that feel a 351W has all the power you would ever need.

In sand, snow, and mud, it's ALL about wheel speed. Without your wheels spinning at a HIGH rpm you aren't going to be moving. I'm not talking 40 mph wheel speed at 5,000rpm in OD with my KluneV engaged with my 351W (so I've got the torque to spin all 4 at that speed), but I'm talking 65mph or higher! The guys that blow by me with the strokers are spinning all 4 locked corners at 70mph...no joke!

Can't begin to do that with a 351W unless you're on ice. :) I've got deep snow pulls that are over 1 1/2 minutes long that I pull at 4800 -5100 rpm the entire time and I need more wheel speed.

Sand and mud are the same.

My 418 stroker parts are trickling in each week. I can't wait.

BTW, 408's will easily last over 100k miles. Why not with quality parts.

Check out Fordstrokers.com

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I guess it depends on where you are - I don't wheel specifically in mud and we don't have sand. I was more than impressed with my junkyard 351W in my trail truck with cut 37" boggers and 4.11 gears...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BTW, 408's will easily last over 100k miles. Why not with quality parts.

Why not indeed? I have one that is running perfectly at 160,000 and had another that went about 210,000 before a busted valve took it out.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Check these guys out. Ford Strokers I've read quite a bit about this guy. I have not spoken to him but I understand he will discuss your project and give you pointers.

I have a local machine shop Paolo Engines that I have used for four engines, so I had them prep the block and recommend the parts. Good luck.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Woody at Fordstrokers has a fantastic library of videos that you can log on and watch (for a very reasonable fee) to help you with any and all phases of building your engine. Call Nicole and ask for a quick "sampling" so you can see them. I checked them out one day and they were very informative and full of good tips.

Jim (Woody) is the largest builder of stroker SBF's in the US I believe. Extremely knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

He is supplying my block and rotating assbly in parts and I am assembling it myself since I've done many.

This is NOT his home page, but I included this link to show you the difference btw his equipment and other shops. Nobody close to where I live has high quality equipment and/or the expertise to run it so this is one of the reasons Woody is doing my block and balancing work.

http://www.fordstrokers.com/fordstrokers-shop/

Good luck, have fun with your build. Jim and Nicole (his wife) are great people, very helpful.

Caveat is this... he builds a lot of engines so the wait is long...

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question: How important is it to hone with torque plates on the 351 block? Should this be done every time? My machine shop said no, I've heard otherwise and wondering if I should disassemble and start over. Have not run the 408 yet. Sorry for the hijack and thanks in advance.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a real tough one. I almost always have my blocks honed with the torque plate. That said..I've done many that were not, including the racing engine that was in my EB MX racer for almost 7 years.

I wouldn't sweat it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes it's important and yes you can get away with not doing it. You can also put an engine together with cheap Chinese made, rough cast, rough machined cranks and imitation/clone cylinder heads and blocks. It'll run. Might even run for years...

The real question is this: Why kind of final product do you want?

I would never go thru the expense and time of building an engine without it. I find it really hard to imagine why your machine shop wouldn't recommend and demand it.

Check out some references to it on the Net.

Good luck.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
All you guys running 408's - what did you find works for cylinder heads (I'm leaning towards AFR 205's) and headers?

I love BC Bronco's headers, but are there any off the shelf headers that will breathe enough, or are you limited to custom headers?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All you guys running 408's - what did you find works for cylinder heads (I'm leaning towards AFR 205's) and headers?

CHI, Edelbrock and Parker all make some killer heads but so far all of my 408s have been built with the iron Aussie 302 heads.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I'm running Trickflow 185 CNC ported heads. Fordstroker consistently recommends Trickflow twisted wedge. Good enough for me.

I have never dynoed my stroker and honestly don't plan to. I can feel the power and torque, which is good enough for me. I've seen motors ruined on a dyno.

Last edited:

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
CHI, Edelbrock and Parker all make some killer heads but so far all of my 408s have been built with the iron Aussie 302 heads.

I should have been more specific ;D 351w and I'm not planning on doing a Clevor :cool: Thanks though!

I'm running Trickflow 185 CNC ported heads. Fordstroker consistently recommends Trickflow twisted wedge. Good enough for me.

I have never dynoed my stroker and honestly don't plan to. I can feel the power and torque, which is good enough for me. I've seen motors ruined on a dyno.

What headers are you using with the TF heads?

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Edelbrock Victor Jr 210s on my 427.

Bronco Hut is having some of their shorties made with 1 5/8" primaries along with their 3" collectors for me. I'll be test fitting them soon.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Edelbrock Victor Jr 210s on my 427.

Bronco Hut is having some of their shorties made with 1 5/8" primaries along with their 3" collectors for me. I'll be test fitting them soon.

Interesting! I was wondering if/when one of the Bronco parts houses was going to start making headers for strokers.