• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If I'm not mistaken, Oldtimer's question was more about if the PSI reading is off/bad/useless, are there any others suffering from the same problem? What is it about the fuel pressure transducer that is causing the erroneous reading? Is it supposed to be getting 12VDC and it's only getting 5VDC? Is there a grounding problem? Or is the sensor itself just FUBAR? If the sensor isn't FUBAR, could whatever is affecting it also be affecting any of the other sensors that are used in the calcs?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I thought he was asking how the fuel injectors are doing it if the pressure reading is wrong and the answer to that, is they don't use it at all. They use whatever number of output is on the fuel table.

Can't answer why the Holley is wrong, but the MS is only guessing the number and I could calibrate it or run a sensor to tell it what is is and then calibrate it, but it's unnecessary unless you're programming something to trigger if pressure = X.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What I am told is that the fuel pressure sensor does not make the calculations, It just gives me the readout on the screen- exactly what Ben said.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Let's say that it's a voltage supply problem that is the cause of the fuel pressure transducer reading error. Could that also be affecting another sensor that is used in the calculations? Seems like the error might be pointing to an issue even though this particular error has no effect on how the engine runs.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, Oldtimer's question was more about if the PSI reading is off/bad/useless, are there any others suffering from the same problem? What is it about the fuel pressure transducer that is causing the erroneous reading? Is it supposed to be getting 12VDC and it's only getting 5VDC? Is there a grounding problem? Or is the sensor itself just FUBAR? If the sensor isn't FUBAR, could whatever is affecting it also be affecting any of the other sensors that are used in the calcs?
I haven't had time to plug my other sensor in to see what it could be yet.

Door lock mechanism on the LG washer flipped out this morning and wouldn't keep the door locked this am. Life stuff- we all know it! :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
It's running the best that it ever has tonight. HOT, STINKIN' HOT but I'll see what the other tuner can do on Wed.
Should get two more tunes tomorrow to see if it will cool it down some. Washing machine repair tomorrow when the parts come in. lol

Thanks for all the input, will keep everyone posted as I go along and retype something that's less than 30 pages on how to do this right the first time and skip those other 23 attempts. :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Attached is a datalog from today.
Closed loop is turned off (tuner helper did that)

He is blaming wasted spark for cylinders he says are "all over". I actually suggested this idea a couple days ago but he said to check spark for each cyl and see if they are firing when they are supposed to during crankshaft rotation.

Sounded good but then I thought of wasted spark. I will have spark happening all over the crank rotation since it's firing both cylinders instead of just one.... so trying to distinguish between them all might be an exercise in futility. Maybe not, just looking for one spark at a time... I'll wait till I either have good news or not tomorrow.

Anybody that has the ability - - - could they take a quick peak at this data log and see if it's really that bad?

I am travelling a couple hundred miles with my Bronco in tow behind me tomorrow and I guess that's when I'll find out for sure as I'm paying a guy there to get this thing running.

If I could have handled the look of LS coils glued to my valve covers then I would have been running 10 days ago. :( It's not that bad, just didn't like the look.

I am taking a spare coil with me but hopefully this guy can figure it out and get it where it needs to be!

Attachments

• TermX_240514-124302-0042.zip
    1 MB · Views: 3

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Hey, don’t say I didn’t show you how to do the coils the right way. I’m still baffled at your choice of wasted spark since you’re doing everything that needed for for CNP except the right coils.

Since I like you though, I’m gonna show you again. It’s pretty, imo. I have this on each side and that’s it.

IMG_7677.jpeg

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
You did, you even showed me the pics!! I don't have room on the DS but that won't be an excuse when I (might, possibly, maybe, slight chance, have to :) ) go LS coils

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
All of the cool kids use LS coils for their projects.
We used one to light the propane that in turn lights the diesel on this DIY turbocharger based Gas Turbine engine;

i-JD4Nzjx-L.jpg

It proved exceptionally good at turning diesel into heat and noise!

Last edited:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have been wondering myself that by using wasted spark with the non separate coils if the spark in the cylinder at times other than actual firing order is not causing fuel in the exhaust to be lit when it should not be. Honestly I would go COP and not look back.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Also confused on the data logs. One has timing from 15-35 degrees. The other calls out 5-25 degrees. I need to look at the tune a bit more but hopefully your tuner can help. If not you may need to just put in one of the standard SBF tunes and then change displacement and coil type and try that. Something is really weird in the tune.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
GREAT DAY AT THE DYNO today!

I'll post more if I can find my video... :) 1st video is bad quality but a ton of fun! 2nd video doesn't show how steep it was but you can see the tops of the trees below.

I am soooooo pumped!

This guy today was amazing. He has worked with Holley software forever.

IAC that came with the brand new Edelbrock TB was bad.

Everything the guy in Florida did-was bad.

We strapped it down at 10:30am and unstrapped it at 4:30pm.

Whew.

Attachments

• Sand_drags (1).mp4
    478.1 KB
  • 20180814_144639.mp4
    35 MB
  • 20240515_110014.mp4
    6.7 MB
  • 20240515_111724.mp4
    13.3 MB
  • 20240515_133547.mp4
    5 MB
  • 20240515_160421.mp4
    8.7 MB
  • 20240515_161158.jpg
    20240515_161158.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240515_161340.jpg
    20240515_161340.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240515_161724.jpg
    20240515_161724.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Are the power numbers about where you expected?
600hp 660 torque with a very safe 32 deg of timing. He has had this dyno for 18 yrs and said he could easily get me 15-18 more hp but I stressed finishing the race not just qualifying for it and he agreed.

He was quite surprised by how responsive it was for such a long stroked build.

Both engine builders - we hit it off before the Bronco was off the trlr!! ;)