• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

does anyone sell an EFI kit???

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I guess I am. The parts seem to all be kind of iffy. The harness is old and needs to be modified, the computer is old and may need some new capacitors, the injectors are old and may be plugged, the labor involved in changing the intake manifold out, plus finding the right upper and lower.

If I buy the msd atomic, I just need to install it in place of the carb.

Seems simple enough. No need to worry about chasing old gremlins.

So if someone sold me all the parts for 1500, why not spend a bit more and get all new gear with warranty and tech support?

Is that what you mean makes me lazy?

The ad says no harness. So add another 500 for an aftermarket harness? That's $1000.00 right off the bat.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I guess I am. The parts seem to all be kind of iffy. The harness is old and needs to be modified, the computer is old and may need some new capacitors, the injectors are old and may be plugged, the labor involved in changing the intake manifold out, plus finding the right upper and lower.

So if someone sold me all the parts for 1500, why not spend a bit more and get all new gear with warranty and tech support?

The ad says no harness. So add another 500 for an aftermarket harness? That's $1000.00 right off the bat.

So you mis-stated what you want in your original question.

You are asking for someone getting parts from a junkyard, but you expect New Old Stock quality.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV

Frankly I think you're trying to talk yourself into something. Are you not very mechanically savvy? Is that what this is all about? MSD, Howell and other aftermarket 302 EFI systems will not outperform stock sequential port, mass air EFI dollar for dollar. They only become viable when you start to exceed 300 HP on the stock setup.

Swap the whole engine in. I don't get why this is so hard for you to understand. A 5.0 has likely has better stuff than your carbed 302. You also have a high likelihood of swapping to a different cam in your 302 due to the difference in firing order. It's far easier to simply swap the engines across.

Car ECUs are solid state - they do not have 'wearable' components. Do you even understand what is inside an ECU? As far as a harness, you don't have to rework one. There are 5 connections to make. That's it. I have 4 Mustang ECUs in my possession - never picked up a used failed one. Red herring.

I've never had a plugged injector with a Mustang engine. I've never had a bad sensor, nor a bad component. The only things you would be wise to buy new are O2 sensors.

It's a batch fire system with no ignition control. Spend $3500 and get a glorified TBI. DUMB.

You're kidding right? No tuning necessary with a 5.0. It was tuned from the factory. Wire it properly (only needs 5 wires to run) and be on your way. I have 3 5.0 MAF EFI vehicles right now, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you should stick to new cars.

You can't even take the time to look on Craigslist. That's lazy. I never go to wrecking yards. I work full time in an office, travel for weeks at a time and still manage to be able to source parts in the general area of my house. I stand by the laziness assertion.

Yes, a brand new aftermarket harness that placates your lazy streak and labels the wires for you. No schematics necessary. If you are afraid of the stock harness, this is the obvious choice.

You're trying to convince yourself that the MSD will run better and be cheaper. You're wrong. You will end up trouble shooting that thing far more than a stock EFI system and end up spending 3X the amount as a stock EFI. Stock A9x computers will plug in, and fire right up like nothing every happened.

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Wow. So much drama.
Dudes,
First of all, need I defend my mechanical abilities?

The start of this whole thing was my fellow bronco dude at work. He said for 500bucks I could have it up and going. I still have not seen a deal for 500 bucks.

From what I have read on this website in the tech write up was that the mustang harmess or the explorer harness needed to be fitted to the bronco. Thats where I got that idea.

Craigslist has been such a friggin joke here, you have no idea how many times it turns out to be a drug addict selling something stolen. Yes. I have had that happen. Other people just like to waste time and make arrangements to meet and then it turns out they were scamming me.
I am not gonna drive to san luis for that kind of crap.

The Atomic system does have ignition control. The Edelbrock does not.

I am not doubting any of your personal experiences. Good for you.

I apologize for starting a thread looking for a solution that was simple. If that equates to lazy, then I will graciously admit to being lazy.

I never said the atomic was better than a factory setup. I said it made money sense.

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
Alright, so Joker is lazy and 76 BFH has a little pirate swag. ;D

76, I agree with everything you wrote but.. The junkyard scene in Yuma is not good at all. The auctions and u-pull-it type yards are about 3 hours from here in San Diego or Phoenix. The CL ad you linked is typical for this area. Probably a 1975 302 with no intake and been sitting outside in the guys yard since 1977. More frustrating CL experiences than good ones here. That's likely why Joker wanted to source his parts elsewhere.

Joker, these guys are giving you good advice. I have been reading about efi swaps for the last couple of months and making costs analysis lists. You could go a couple of different routes and be out of pocket for less than half of the performance company's kits and have a better system.

1. Buy some 87-93 maf parts from ebay or forum members.
2. Buy a donor car: 88-94 cougar type for $1000.
3. Buy a donor 96-01 Explorer for $1000. It will also have your front dress.

You will come out ahead by buying a donor car for $1000 and selling the other parts and body after you're done.

You should be able to be out of pocket for less than $1500 for everything including plugs, oil, fuel pumps, fuel line etc. with the Ford EFI conversion.

You have all the tech support you need here on the forum.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
As said, 96-01 Explorer V8 is the way to go IMO. You get it all GT40 intakes (GT40 heads too if you're lucky, P heads are still good too) wiring harness, ECU and front dress. Oh and roller cam. Rip it all out and take the shell to the scrap yard and get a few bucks. Maybe sell a few things on CL before you scrap it.

Keep in mind, you will have to add O2 sensors to the existing exhaust with EFI.

Quick example, I bought a 96 E350 running and driving for $800. After I got the engine torn down, it had between 8-9 thousands wear. EFI motors seem to go forever with little wear. Could have just dropped it in and ran it but I did a full rebuild. Could have used the Speed Density EFI and ECU but decided to go Mass Air so I'm getting the harness converted and buying a 94-95 Mustang ECU. Pulled a complete GT40 intake with mass air sensor off an 96 Explorer in the scrap yard. Bought a GT40 lower for the 351W......$$$$ but going GT40 was my decision and I knew it would cost more.

Sold $495 worth of parts off the van
Scrapped the van for $240

All total, I'll end up spending 2K for a rebuilt 351W, GT40 lower and upper, Mass Air EFI, wiring harness, ECU, Front dress and a few new parts here and there (injectors rebuilt, new harmonic balancer, water pump, etc.

Tim

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
^^^^^^^^^^ this........I went with affordable because it was a full kit and I only paid 700 bucks.... Have not had one problem with it and u can do it in a weekend.....search my thread on here and you can see my whole install of the kit.... The thread is called "EFI in a box"..... If I was smart enough to link it is this thread I would but I don't know how.... Maybe someone can help me out and link it for him

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
^^^^^^^^^^ this........I went with affordable because it was a full kit and I only paid 700 bucks.... Have not had one problem with it and u can do it in a weekend.....search my thread on here and you can see my whole install of the kit.... The thread is called "EFI in a box"..... If I was smart enough to link it is this thread I would but I don't know how.... Maybe someone can help me out and link it for him

Here you go.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221792

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Car ECUs are solid state - they do not have 'wearable' components. Do you even understand what is inside an ECU? As far as a harness, you don't have to rework one. There are 5 connections to make. That's it. I have 4 Mustang ECUs in my possession - never picked up a used failed one. Red herring.

http://www.robotroom.com/Capacitor-Self-Discharge-1.html
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237145&highlight=Capacitor+leak&page=2

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254646

attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Beep boop boop

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Yes maam, we have a man down here. He is known as 76Broncofromhell. Please send the paramedics. He will most likely need skin grafts for this burn."

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Beep boop boop

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Yes maam, we have a man down here. He is known as 76Broncofromhell. Please send the paramedics. He will most likely need skin grafts for this burn."

LMAO. With the exception of the capacitors his advice is still pretty solid IMHO. But yeah, he's showing his Pirate swag.

I'd say that about 60% of the Mustang computers that I open up to put a chip or Quarterhorse in have capacitors that are on the way out. It's a very common problem and just happens due to old age. The ones that aren't leaking are usually swelling and should be done before they leak. The fluid that leaks out of them is actually corrosive and in extreme cases will eat away the solder pad on the board making it nearly impossible to repair.

I wouldn't let that deter you from going the Mustang EFI route though. The fix is both pretty simple and cheap. I charge a wopping $30 plus shipping to repair them using capacitors with higher voltage and temp ratings than OE. In theory, they should last another 20 years or so before they need to be fixed again. I think the Mustang route is still better than the aftermarket TBI units both in terms of performance and cost.

Having said that, I'm still a bigger fan of the Explorer OBD2 EFI, but I may be a little biased.;)
No leaky capacitors, better diagnostics, a rock solid ignition system, built in 4r70w control, and tons of them in the bone yards available to pick from. ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
X2 what EFI guy said
leaky capacitors are no big deal, also I can fix corroded PCB's replace pad / traces if needed.
This is big stuff compared to the stuff I do daily, normal day might be strip a 30 gauge stranded wire and use one of the strands to make a modification to a PCB.

I run EEC-IV EFI cause Its easy and I have it in my broncos and a collection in my garage, the explorer stuff is very plentiful in the junk yards, I should start collecting that stuff. all the thread I see on aftermarket EFI are all help threads, but we usually don't hear from the "all mystuff is perfect" guys

I had the first holley pro-injection back in the early 90's even with all its issues it was better than a carb.

OP
OP
Joker11

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
The wife is onboard with the explorer swap. Looks like I am getting more than I was looking for. I will be getting all the goodies in one place. You guys sold me on the explorer as a kit. Efi and serp.

Now I need to find a donor somewhere.
And I have a buddy who needs to fix his explorer front end. Maybe I can salvage the front end for him and kill two birds with one stone.

All around, it looks like the best kit to get.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I wasn't looking to burn anyone, I just want people to be aware there's just one small detail to acquiring an older Ford EFI kit that they should be aware of.

I would not have know about that small detail other than by the links I had provided.