• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

O.P.E.C. SUCKS!!!! Propane starting to smell GREAT!

Merlin76

Gas just went up to near $2.40/gal here today. SERIOUSLY considering a Propane conversion.... Anyone running propane yet? Thoughts please.... I don't mind dropping the $1000 on a kit if it works well....

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Back in late 80's my parents had an 80's propane powered bronco that I would drive to school and boy was that sucker gutless. That gutless wonder made the 170 I just pulled out of this 67 seem like a power house. Maybe they have done something to help the power aspect of the propane issues.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Why propane? Why not electric? Though you will have lmited range (depending on budget). But electrics make awesome rock crawlers, better than gas.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Boy them Diesel conversions at 25mpg are starting to look better and better all the time aren't they? If you think $2.40 is a lot, just wait until July. I bet it is going to be pure hell this summer. Feel sorry for all the California people because they pay quite a lot for gas. Doesn't seem to bother most of SoCal though, as 1 out of every 2 people has an H2, Escalade, or Excursion it seems. This is sort of a borderline off topic post, but I can tell you that finding propane would be difficult at best. Doesn't also have to be put into the tank every time by someone at the station?

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
Um.. Diesel conversions don't look good around here.

My daily driver/tow rig is a Diesel.. and since Diesel is still 27, yes, TWENTY-SEVEN cents more then PREMIUM unleaded, I've been driving the Bronco to work a whole lot more..

$2.40 for premium, $2.67 for Diesel.. and it is a waste product.. just unbeleivable.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Yeah, never makes sense why Diesel fuel is more these days. The only reason I have been told by truckers is because production gets shifted to make gasoline cheaper, as that is what most people in the US drive. Stupid government really needs to get their sh.t together and give the truckers a break.

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
I've been a Bush advocate from the start, but he and his crew need to do something about this gas/diesel dilema.....Seriously.

Steroids in baseball.......who gives a rats a$$. Something HAS GOT to be done about these fuel prices.

BroncKelly

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
To bring this further off topic...
Can you please explain to me exactly how the president is supposed to control the price of a refined product that is coming (mostly) from other countries in a free market economy? .. maybe best in a new thread in another area.

To bring it back on topic...
I wouldnt call this gutless.. a 700hp willys running on propane!

68ford

Bronco Guru
BroncKelly said:
I've been a Bush advocate from the start, but he and his crew need to do something about this gas/diesel dilema.....Seriously.

Steroids in baseball.......who gives a rats a$$. Something HAS GOT to be done about these fuel prices.

BroncKelly

no way, steroids and baseball make the world go round! ;D

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
I looked into propane quite a bit a few months ago. If you build a motor specifically for propane you can get a lot of power and *decent* economy. Most of the dual fuel engines are pretty gutless because propane is a higher octane (around 114, if i remember correctly) so an engine thats built to run on 87 octane isnt going to run as good on 114 and vice versa. The biggest problem I saw with prop is availability. Its starting to grow a little bit but If i run out of prop in kansas i dont want to have to walk to Denver to get fuel.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
67EB_in_619 said:
To bring this further off topic...
Can you please explain to me exactly how the president is supposed to control the price of a refined product that is coming (mostly) from other countries in a free market economy? .. maybe best in a new thread in another area.

To bring it back on topic...
I wouldnt call this gutless.. a 700hp willys running on propane!

I hear that all of Bush's stolen Iraqui oil is going to market soon, so that should relieve our gasoline woes. The war was about oil, don't forget! :) :) :) :)

On a serious note, I don't really consider this a "gasoline crisis". So I pay 30-40 bucks more a month. OK, I can adjust. I know it might affect some people that travel alot more than me, but for me, it would have to get alot higher before I would quit driving the Bronco

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Unless you drive a halfcab where do you plan on putting the tank, you cant put inside with you. Im not even sure they make a tank small enough for a halfcab. Ive seen a propane fire on a forklift and you cant see it burn just like alcohol. Burns real hot too and ugly. You can buy a lot of gas for what a propane setup costs too not to mention constant regulator problems. I had one and Id never have another one. On the plus side the oil never gets dirty

Travismay26

H2

The problem with H2 is in the compressability, since it is a light gas you cant store as much in a tank, unless under extreme pressure. This has been one main delema for the future of Hydrogen as power plants. No one wants to re-fuel every 20 mi.

No were really off..