• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2009 MEB Shootout Uwharrie; 04/24 - 25

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Who's going to UNF for the MEB Shootout this year?

The MEB has posted a link for the event on their website although the details have not yet been posted. I'm sure Nick Hopman will be on here soon with more information on this fun event...

http://www.earlybroncos.com/

Last edited:

nhopman

No need to make an official announcement since you beat me to it :cool: .

I had the info up on the website, but the link got broken, it's fixed now, so just click on the shootout banner and it will take you to the details.

www.earlybroncos.com

Direct link http://www.earlybroncos.com/content/09shootout.html

It's basically the same as in previous years - just a very casual get together to have some fun on the trails.

Looking forward to seeing everyone agian - it seems like it's been a long winter, it will definitely be time to blow the dust off the rig and get it out of the garage.

Nick

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nick, sorry won't be able to make this one - my trail rig is down for needed repairs, maintenance, etc. Really sorry I am going to miss it this year - its a great event. Uwharrie has trails for everyone - but if it rains, watch out! It has the slickest mud I have ever seen! ;D

Have fun!

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're anywhere near Uwharrie go to the shootout. Its alot of fun, the trails are great, and you don't have to have a super-rig to run them. There are go-arounds for the tough spots. I went last year and loved it. The campground is really nice too. Unfortunately I can't make it this year.

Contact nhopman or go to www.earlybroncos.com for details.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I wheeled UNF this past weekend with my local wheeling group.

A few observations......

Rocky Mountain loop--

The big mud hole on the bottom of the trail that seems to develop every year has been filled in. The last step up before kodak actually is a little easier than last year. Easy bypass around it. Didn't venture into the rock garden as it was jammed packed and backed up. Watched some idiot in a wrangler hammer it to death and eventually destroy it

Daniel---

The two ledges have gotten more chewed up. There was still alot of water draining which made everything slick. Ended up pulling cable for both of them. A couple of trees have fallen on the easy line at the 3 way after the switchback, making that path impassible.

Dickey Bell--

Perhaps it was a fluke, but I hit a rock just right and it popped loose the drain plug on the tranny pan(B&M deep pan) and out came 5 quarts of tranny fluid. A buddy ran to the outpost and fortunately they had type F. Put the plug back in and it held. Got a spare now just in case.

Falls Dam--

Mud pits have gotten deeper

Dutch John--

Seems to be the same as last year

See you all this weekend

nhopman

Thanks for the trail report. Good to see they didn't smooth out the trails like they usually do. I heard about the easy line up daniel having trees on it. wonder if they just fell over and haven't been cleared yet, or if they are trying to close that route.

Looks like rain early this week then clear and sunny throughout the weekend, and not too hot. It's going to be dusty there. The trails aren't too bad for dust, but the roads are terrible. It would be nice to get a little rain each day to keep the dust down, but maybe for those who like to play in the mud, you'll be able to find some.

Been reading on the local board and ther are a couple of large groups there this weekend. There's an isuzu group with around 40 rigs and the Central NC group with about 50 rigs - it should still be a fun time.

Soon as 1 part shows up for my tranny, i'll be able to fill it up and I'll be ready.

See ya there.

Nick

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
I'm heading down tonight.

Are we meeting at the Dutch John Trail head?

I think the weather will be great!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be there tomorrow around noon .. see ya'll there!

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
(long story)

My bad luck weekend began Saturday morning on the first trail after driving the rig over 70 miles from home to hit the trail head. It's amazing these problems never surface at home... Anyway on the first trail I'm running fine and anxious to test out the brand new swapped in Dana 44. I'm now running dual detroit truetracs and very excited to test out my new traction. First 10 mins on trail the engine dies out. Precursory look on trail reveals cracked/pitted fuel line at the tank, sputtering fuel pump and a sheared exhaust hanger complete with separated muffler. Borrowed some (this was my first borrow of what would prove to be too many borrows for the weekend) 3/8 hose and clamps to fix the fuel issue enough to get back to camp to weld up a temporary fix for the exhaust situation and address the pump. Closest parts store is a 20 mile round trip and they ofcourse don't have the right pump. So 3 hrs later we're buttoned up with a serviceable exhaust, new electric fuel pump and ready to ride, so off we go, right. No more than 100 yards from the trail head the engine dies again. Get it started again and notice scary amounts of fuel has spilled out through the carb breather hole/vent hole. After countless hours and attempts at fixing the fuel issues, it was determined that contamination in the tank led to a fouled up mechanical pump, which was replaced by 7psi electric pump, which in turn produced too much pressure for the stock Motorcraft carb as fuel bubbled over the breather hole/weep hole. A low pressure adjustable fuel pressure regulator seemed to do the trick (at a 5 psi pressure setting) on that issue before clogging up twice with contamination (90 psi air couldn't free up the blockage). Sunday morning went back to parts store, this is the 3rd. parts run, purchased an inline fuel filter and a new regulator. Engine cranks up fine and the tank subsequently dumps 2 pieces of 1/8" - 1/4" size gunk into the fuel filter- sweet fancy Moses! Drive rig 70+ miles home with no problems.

A big hearty THANKS to everyone that helped me on/off trail; NC-Fordguy, Jabo76, Jay Hatten, NicHopman and countless others. As always the hospitality was incredible and the cookout was delicious. Jay- I'll be seeing you about a 15 gallon tank on Wednesday :)

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Thanks to Nick Hopman and the MEB folks for another good time of trail riding and socializing. I will have a bunch of pictures to post once the college girls get done with their exams; download them and send them to me.

We need to do it more often so that raleigh_bronco can test his mettle on the Daniel and Kodak routes.

nhopman

had a great time, hope everyone else did as well. I'm still coughing up dust from the trails. For some reason, I got exactly 0 pics, so post them up if you got em.

We'll definitely have to get together a couple of time this year.

Nick

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We were there but unfortunately did not hook up with the rest of ya'll. We got there Friday afternoon and wheeled. We ended up behind a group of 4 or 5 broncos Saturday but we ended up taking a different trail.

It was great weather, but like Nick said it was DUSTY!! We camped on the lake and it was great to be able to go jump in the lake to clean off all of the dust.