• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yes, out of F150's. Yes, I have the 10 spd also and agree that they have too many gear choices for a Bronco that will be used off road. I've tried manually shifting the 10 spd fast and it's next to impossible. The issue I think is when in low range trying to climb an obstacle that the 10 spd would want to shift up or down while inching over a waterfall or down a ledge. Or trying to keep it at redline when climbing a sand dune.

I know the Gen 2 Controllers have a 4x4 mode where you can keep it from shifting above or below certain rpms but these 10 spds skip gears all the time. I've probably seen mine in 2nd gear maybe 10 times in the 9 months I've owned it! 1-3-5,6,7,8,9, 10

Yeller

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yes read it all! Lol

Looks like your getting the kinks worked out and it’s really turning out sweet

Missed a good time this week, even got to do some snow wheeling! First in a very long time

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Glad you made it! You said you would but that white stuff scared off a ton of people amd exhibitors! :(

Got some good friends down there and it was white for the first couple days, then mud, then dust!! Typical fall. Hope you had a great time. Beautiful country!!!

cag33

Couple of ?s Are you driving on the street? What pressures are you running in the front ORI's?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Up to 420/190 now. Started at 420/95 and I would almost roll over when side hilling!! lol

cag33

Thanks for the reply. I just started tuning mine and I'm at 175/400. Feels pretty good until about 50 and then starts floating around. I am still on rear leafs, so far i have taken your advice.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
The "floating" goes away at 85mph!! :)

Just kidding. Might check all those other "things" that can contribute to that.
I run 20#'s tire pressure and I'm not sure that the ORI's have the road stability that coil-overs and good King 2.5" remote shocks have. Like to ride in similar setup rigs and on the same blacktop county road & do some comparison rides & drives. I like that stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well... I got to finally work the drivetrain hard in the sand. Nothing like 5psi, 4wd engaged, soft dry sand, up a dune to put a load on everything.

Wish we could post videos because I got a few but at least I can say that the difference btw the 4r and the 6r is night and day. Street tests get so squirrelly because you get going so fast but on soft sand and 5psi the load is there and I can at least be in 4th at 75mph and actually have time to look at things like the tach or mph w/o needing 100% of my attention to staying in my lane.

I will call Baumann/USShift tomorrow (already sent them an email) about some small issues they might not be aware of. It really does give you the best of an auto and a full manual... with safety features designed in like preventing over-revving, etc. With full manual control no matter what the RPM's are, attacking a dune is much simpler and effective because it won't shift unless you "tell" it to in manual mode.

You heard it here first (well, maybe not) but I call Kevin or Karl at USShift every year :) and ask when they are going to design a controller with an LED readout that you can actually read w/o trying to focus in on 1/8" tall letters on a screen while driving down a highway or a narrow trail... guess what??!! They will release one this winter and another larger more feature packed and constructed of nicer materials readout in the spring/summer of 2021 they're hoping. The new LED readout can be mounted anywhere unlike their controller with wires protruding from 3 sides. :( UPDATE on this Jan 2021... bad news, Kevin said another year before it comes out... dang.

Anyway, Caleb called me back and said they should have it out this winter. We will have to upgrade our controllers is the "catch"... he said they will try to keep costs reasonable.

So now I can bury my controller again in the bottom of my console (I'll mount it this time in there) and have all my switches mounted to do the shifting, kicking out of O/D, pick different shift tables, etc for a cleaner look. Been waiting 11 yrs for this.

Attachments

• 20200928_192750.jpg
    20200928_192750.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201001_183507.jpg
    20201001_183507.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I feel it was. Thanks Steve.

For those that don't understand the need for making it to the top of the dune or slinging wet, heavy, sloppy snow with all 4 tires then that's ok. I love it all... :)

Well, the list of to-do's left is about 3 pages single spaced #12 font shorter but I still have several pages to do before I start all over again in a couple more years! lol

I missed not making it to SuperCel... :(

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
6r80 controller update... I'm shooting from the hip here but I think the 4r controller is very basic compared to the 6r80 controller. The 2 tranny's are night and day difference in design. My 4r70w controller was set up by me at the beginning and I never had to touch it again as it was flawless. I obviously setup different tunes but never did I have any codes, shifting issues or anything of that nature for 11 yrs of constant use. Excellent- top honors.

The 6r80 controller is a bit different as I'm sure the trans is much more complicated. The issues I was referring to a couple posts back were "fixed" when I rebooted the trans calibration by importing a new file in... in other words I deleted the old file I had tweeked and tuned to my liking and imported a new standard tune and dialed in all of my common tweeks again. Seems to be fine. Kevin spent an hour with me as I was driving and the trans and controller are fine so we just erased this original file and I uploaded a new one. Hope this is the only time I need to do this. Otherwise I will download a tune into my laptop for when we go on extended vacations....

:) Snowed today, hills are covered... still averaging appr 17-20gallons/week of gas... :)
Dang I'm loving this 6r...

***UPDATE***

6r controller or my inability to set it up properly is causing shift issues in "Manutronic" mode. It shifts in manual mode all by itself... :( I can be crusing along at 20mph in 3rd at 1200 rpm (guessing) and it might upshift to 4th while in manual mode... does this alot. Spent another hour with Kevin at USShift 2 days ago and he's doing some consulting and will get back to me on Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
1st is low beam. 2nd is high These are NOT the Grote lights but another LED brand

Wish I could link a 4 sec video to show how I need more LIGHT when driving home thru deer country... So, I tried several sets of LED's. Tried 90/130W Hella bulbs in my Hella Euro beam lenses and tested out some brand new Grote LED's recommended by Wayne here on CB & FB.

I'll include a couple pics. These lights are nice and white, led's can't remember the name but not a lot of projection or peripheral...

1st pic is the Bronco on my driveway. appr.750'.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Resized_20201106_174443.jpeg
    Resized_20201106_174443.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20201205-211516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-211516_Gallery.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here are the Grote's on high beam...looks like daylight! 1st pic is taken from the EXACT same spot as the two pics above.

2nd pic is parked up on my bridge..

Attachments

• 20201205_195949.jpg
    20201205_195949.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201205_195631.jpg
    20201205_195631.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
"Side by side" (my bridge isn't that wide) but successive pics F150 & my '68 Bronco. These pics from my bridge is looking reaching out appr 500 more feet in addition to the previous pics which were appr 750'. These pics show the old farmhouse across my frt field, country road and his setback from the road, appr 1200-1300'.

Here's my '18 F150 (1st pic). Nice to have the Bronco's lighting up to 21st century standards and hundred$ less per side than what newer car/truck headlights cost. I'm pleased with these Grotes in my Bronco now - 2nd pic. I'm sure there are others out there with more lumens, reach out farther but out of the ones I tried that look as close to OE as these do... nothing compared. Trucklights didn't have as good a beam pattern and they cost double.

Looks like a couple of our horses are lit up in this pic. :)

If you notice on the far right side of the pic where I have a reflector nailed to my bridge that the F150 pattern has a lot of light up high on the tree above the reflector...compare that to the knife edged cutoff on the new Grote headlight on my Bronco (2nd pic). You can definitely see a horizontal line cutting off barely above the reflector on the tree. This nice beam cutoff on the Grote means less glare in low clouds or snow since all that loose beam pattern won't be reflecting back from doing nothing but shining at all our Great Horned owls that seranade us. :)

Well worth the expense and time involved, especially if these help me spot deer along our road. We see a dozen a day typically... almost pests. Sure spread the ticks in the spring/summer. There is a "Deer Highway" path under our bridge. Dogs keep them out of the yard otherwise we wouldn't have a bush/tree around the place! lol

Attachments

• 20201205_212948.jpg
    20201205_212948.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20201205_195631.jpg
    20201205_195631.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Good to hear you'll be running tank loads of gas through it this year!! ;)

I was fine with .99 cent sealed beams from Westinghouse when that's all we had.

My H4 Hella's were a huge improvement but comparing them to my F150 or my wife's Honda I just couldn't go on blindly staring into the darkness knowing there were much better options to see everything I could to possibly prevent hitting a deer..

Here's pic of one OE sealed beam and a new Grote. I can live with this update.

Attachments

• 20201205_104904.jpg
    20201205_104904.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If they weren't side by side you wouldn't really notice. Are those the 90941-5 7" round headlight? I found them on eBay but where did you get yours from?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Advanced Auto of all places. Competitive list price then free shipping AND 20% off coupon... yes, that is the part#

I don't own the Bronco parts houses but it would nice if one of them carried an OE look led light that worked this well. I tried several, I liked my Hella's with the 90/130 bulbs but I don't want to be "THAT" guy that I hate blinding everyone on the road. Might be a bit different in a rig that sits on 26" tall tires instead of 40"s...

Last edited:

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Do the new headlights stick out in front of the bezel any more than stock? That's what I don't like about my Truck-Lite 27270C lights - they pop out about 1/4" and look kinda funny as a result.