• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dan Wheeler's Remote Mount TFI Thread

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA

Thanks, VW! I must have looked right at it! I definitely found that page when I was looking. Makes perfect sense, my 3rd from the left 15a fuse was blowing and thats what powers the TFI.

I checked out the TFI module as per this article:
http://351winsor.com/joel/Ignition_Systems/tfi2.html

and everything looked OK on all 3 of my TFI modules. One of them blows that 15a fuse every time and at least one of them works intermittently.

I had a no-start condition with my newest TFI module, swapped it out for a junkyard spare, engine started right away. Thought I had it nailed to a TFI issue. I had to wait a few days before I could get back to it and when I put the newest TFI module back in to confirm a no-start again, it started up right away! I hate intermittent problems.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Went to the electronics store and picked up a heat sink and some shielded 18/3 cable:

WP_20130815_026-L.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks, VW! I must have looked right at it! I definitely found that page when I was looking. Makes perfect sense, my 3rd from the left 15a fuse was blowing and thats what powers the TFI.

and everything looked OK on all 3 of my TFI modules. One of them blows that 15a fuse every time and at least one of them works intermittently.

I had a no-start condition with my newest TFI module, swapped it out for a junkyard spare, engine started right away. Thought I had it nailed to a TFI issue. I had to wait a few days before I could get back to it and when I put the newest TFI module back in to confirm a no-start again, it started up right away! I hate intermittent problems.

Might take a good look at the connector and wires.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Might take a good look at the connector and wires.

X2, I just experienced this same symptom with another Bronco. Ron Francis EFI harness. Turned out to be that both the TFI and MAF female terminals in the connectors were loose, as in, needing to be crimped more, to make a good connection. The tech guy from Ron Francis said that has been an ongoing issue with their harness. The TFI and MAF, use the same female terminal.

Mark

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
on a related note - just for fun I popped open a junkyard TFI I had laying around that was blowing one of the RJM fuses every time I turned on the ignition. It's not what I expected. There's a 1/4" thick layer of clear goo covering a bunch of electronics inside there:

Dan

Looks like a nice thick coating of conformal coating.

Todd Z.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar

that sounds like the sensor inside the distributor. I have seen it three times in the last few months on different 5.0's.

start reading around post 489
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216576&page=33

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Nice work! Just wondering - if you could put it anywhere why not put it inside the cab? Plenty cool, sorta dry.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Nice work! Just wondering - if you could put it anywhere why not put it inside the cab? Plenty cool, sorta dry.

thanks, I looked and looked and looked for ways to get it into the cab but I couldn't find a good place for it that would be easy to access and didn't require me to extend the RJM harness. I think this will be a temporary location and I will move it into the cab when I re-do my dash.

Its not a very good location given the big tires and the lack of fenders but I'm going to build a little shield to protect it from slinging mud. It stays surprisingly clean and dry in there for not having fenders. I think all that clear goo inside the TFI should protect the important parts from water anyway.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
also, I think I'm going to need a remote mount TFI distributor. I'm not happy with how the wire connects to the distributor. I think those spade connectors could pull out or become loose.

I may re-do the whole thing at some point and use the stock remote stuff. Just didn't want to re-wire right now and spend a bunch of money and time.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Does anyone know if a remote TFI distributor from say a 95 Mustang would have the same 3 wires that my current distributor has? If so, maybe I could buy a 95 stang distributor now just to have a better connection at the distributor but keep my TFI module and wiring as-is for now.,

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Does anyone know if a remote TFI distributor from say a 95 Mustang would have the same 3 wires that my current distributor has? If so, maybe I could buy a 95 stang distributor now just to have a better connection at the distributor but keep my TFI module and wiring as-is for now.,

kinda answered my own question by looking at the wiring diagram on the previous page of this thread. Looks like they have a 6 pin connector. But I wonder if I could just use the 3 pins that I need for my setup?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
No. Go get a oem ford distributor and connector end at the pull a part for $30. It took 30 minutes to solder the new wires in.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Wouldn't that keep the heat in? I'm guessing a lot of the heat that causes the problem is conducted from the motor to the distributor. Or maybe not, I don't know.

It shouldn't get very hot from the motor, if it is the ORing on the dizzy would be melted.

My guess is it would keep the hot air stuck under the hood out.
But I dunno ether, it's a pretty tried and true efi setup so it's odd it's even happening.

Before my efi I went through a ing box once a month and it was mounted in the cab, seems like the problem was I had it hard wired in and that would cause it to short out.. Or something stupid like that.

Hope this fixes your problem tho.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
When my TFI failed on my '89 F250, I left the failed one on the distributor, since the signal for the rotor position still worked. I then wired in a remote TFI with the stock heat sink from a late model Bronco. Worked like a champ.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
When did you start having this issue? It seems like the amount of air the mechanical fan moves would keep this from happening? I've got a MSD Pro Billet and never had issues - looks like that is what that was too...

Kyle

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
its been perfectly fine since I went EFI a couple years ago until beginning of August I'd say.

It very well could have been a loose connection or something else but I figure if Ford moved it off the distributor for a reason then I probably should too.