• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about producing trail covers...

is thre interest in a revivied "saddle up" type trail cover?

• Total voters

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
not with a left hand though!!!! bwaaaaahaaaaaa ;D

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Just to give you an idea how bad I need a cover, this pics shows what I have to do this week while camping to keep my seats dry! I can't wait!

Attachments

• aaacabin%20cover.jpg
    aaacabin%20cover.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
GEt it yet Mike?

Everyone give Tasker a great big wet kiss next time they see him for sending his trail cover. It just came. We'll have a look tonight and start schemeing.

The "Trail Tub sides were is wet sanded to 1500 as of last night awaiting mold release and molds. Good thing you can sand with one hand. Haven't tried laying up yet.

vintagebronco75

Loc.
Hillsboro, Oregon
I got one of the first batch of covers down at SOB many years ago. I have probably 10,000 miles on the cover and it is still in great shape. Make sure your seams are well stitched (don't skimp on thread size or passes).

Some things that could be improved.
1. where the window frame and door meet there is a whole that lets water come in. you can see it in one of the posts above.
2. wider material for the door area
3. this thing acts like a big sail and needs a way for air to escape in the back
4. come down further around the windshield.
5. inside cover needs paint protection material to prevent scratches, my quarter panels paint can be found inside the cover due to wind flap.

I would buy another one if it is an improvement but not letting my current one leave as I love it.

Yellow76

I have one of the originals as VinctageBronco75 does and would agree with his improvements. I don't have 10,000 miles but have enough. Thanks for taking on this project.

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Got Taskers cover and waiting on Locos cover so I can take them both over together along with some old school Kayline one piece soft doors we want to get patterns for (which seal much better than the bestop two piecers. I called Bestop multiple times to get the dimensions of their soft doors so we could assure customers that the trail tub openings will work with their doors. The engineer there never called me back so oh well. Heres the Trail Tub pics as of today. Passsenger side mold is off and being wet sanded, buffed and released. Came out great. Have a look;

Attachments

• PART951312392073658.jpg
    PART951312392073658.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 66
  • PART951312392642902.jpg
    PART951312392642902.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20110803_072709.jpg
    IMG_20110803_072709.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20110803_072820.jpg
    IMG_20110803_072820.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20110803_072927.jpg
    IMG_20110803_072927.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 59

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Send me a trail tub and we're even Mike!

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
OK, I'm confused! I thought trail covers are what Tasker shows in his pics?? Now, I dont understand how you guys are getting 10,000 miles on them because I wouldn't get 1 mile without crashing since the windshield is covered!! What the hell am I missing here??

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one I was shown at Super Celebration looked like it was made too lightly to be pulled down the road on a trailer at highway speeds without fraying. Personally- I think that was an unrealistic expectation for the material used.

I've owned one for years (first mass buy) and have been happy with it..especially since the cost was so low.;)

Mine has seen some road miles..but it was the straps that failed from that. They frayed and also separated or pulled out of the top fabric where they were sewn on; there was not suitable doubling and/or reinforcement in the high-stress attachment areas. The fabric istself (sunbrella I believe it is) is up to the task of being trailered just fine IMO and the fabric in my top is holding up fine.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, I'm confused! I thought trail covers are what Tasker shows in his pics?? Now, I dont understand how you guys are getting 10,000 miles on them because I wouldn't get 1 mile without crashing since the windshield is covered!! What the hell am I missing here??

Here's a shot of three EBs sporting Saddleup Trail Covers. They are for transport, storage, overnight cover at events, etc. for us folks with otherwise mostly open rigs.

trail-covers-2.jpg

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
The fabric istself (sunbrella I believe it is) is up to the task of being trailered just fine IMO and the fabric in my top is holding up fine.

I haven't opened the box from Tasker yet but now I think I should. We did a proto bikini top from sunbrella and it lasted about 200 miles before it was shredded. I swear I read on the original thread that guys who trailered it had flogging/fraying issues. Maybe I misread...

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I haven't opened the box from Tasker yet but now I think I should. We did a proto bikini top from sunbrella and it lasted about 200 miles before it was shredded. I swear I read on the original thread that guys who trailered it had flogging/fraying issues. Maybe I misread...

My only issues while trailering was with the straps breaking. The fabric on mine is good and has been outdoors for the past 5 years including 3 here in 300 plus days of sunshine.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

No..we did..but it was all due to the way the straps were attached to the actual fabric cover.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here's a shot of three EBs sporting Saddleup Trail Covers. They are for transport, storage, overnight cover at events, etc. for us folks with otherwise mostly open rigs.

trail-covers-2.jpg

I tried to put one on my white truck, but it was way too tight? ;)