• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about producing trail covers...

is thre interest in a revivied "saddle up" type trail cover?

• Total voters

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Mike, I am speechless for sure. I will say if your upholstery guy can do the quality work that he has done on the other stuff the cover will be awesome.

Keep me in mind and give me a shout on this weekend. I can lend you a pair of hands. Or a left one at the very least.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Jason, don't go down there blind....know what you're getting into ;D

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
What are you saying Randy? Do you hear Banjos playing deliverance or something?? Some would call that psychological "projection". ;D;D;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
LOL!! you are a good man Mark....i mean Mike

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Trail Cover Survey Summary

Took a look at the covers before handing them off to Serguei- Sure looks like Sunbrella but heavier weight than what we used for the proto bikini top. Taskers had a nice sewn storage bag which is a nice feature if you plan on bringing it on trips or to events. Its up to him now.

To Summarize;

Material is good
Longer sides
Better strap attachment to prevent separation

Questions;

1.What about extra eyelets along the bottom of the door flap in the front and back to pre-tension it from side to side with bungees? Eyelets Yes/No

2.What about side zippers to fold in extra side material to convert from family to slant back? OR just make dedicated models? Convertible Zippers Yes/No

3.Anybody have moisture problems? Does it need vents/overlapping flaps? Vents even if it cost $10-15 bucks more? Yes/No

You can answer 1.2.3. Y/N

Thanks for your participation!

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
Hrmm,
1 - whichever is cheaper (guessing no)
2 - Yes
3 - not sure, don't have one. I would definitely make it a mesh vent if vented.

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
My upholstery guy found this while cruising on the web. I'm guessing this is the door you guys are referring to. Not too pretty, loose, complex looking to make which translates to expensive (unless you work for $8/hr like me). He's Ukranian and has a strange sense of humor (kind of like Tasker). He also suggested a new power window system. Take a look...

That power window kit is awesome. I think I suggested 1-peice but 2 or whatever is cool - I don't mind either way and was thinking personally something like bestop's version BUT with a regular door bottom shape.
Plenty of example pics here:
http://www.etrailer.com/Jeep-Doors/Ford/Bronco/1969/B5177201.html?vehicleid=1969621473
e.g.:
B5177201_aa.jpg

You could use the softwindow top you already have and just a flat 'square'ish bottom with a rod frame with a handle and open hinge design to use the scott drake removeable hinges so it just sets on the hinge. Wish I could fabricate or draw cause the biggest part to me is just welding up the small tube frame, couple of flat peices to attach the handle, hinge components, and attachment points for the soft window top and a double sided, almost 'bag like' in shape fabric cover. Anyway, just thinking out loud :)

Good luck with the tops as I'm sure I'll get one. :)

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
You could use the softwindow top you already have and just a flat 'square'ish bottom with a rod frame with a handle and open hinge design to use the scott drake removeable hinges so it just sets on the hinge. Wish I could fabricate or draw cause the biggest part to me is just welding up the small tube frame, couple of flat peices to attach the handle, hinge components, and attachment points for the soft window top and a double sided, almost 'bag like' in shape fabric cover. Anyway, just thinking out loud :)

Good luck with the tops as I'm sure I'll get one. :)[/QUOTE]

When you go on the Bestop site, they don't even show the Bronco door anymore. If you search the site for two piece doors, you get sheep crap. Maybe thats why their engineer never returned my call(s). Not enough demand (by their standards). I'm definitely going to have a sit down w/ Serguei and see what we can come up with for a lower half. One thing I like about the old Kaylines was how they followed the outer body contour. Its a ton harder to make but I think it reduced turbulence and air leaking around the edges.

Bryan-
Interesting idea. It would have to unzip full perimeter since the cover "covers" the windshield too. You'd also have to havel the metal hold down strip on your windshield frame. The zipper would need a flap over it to make water run off adding labor and materials. I bet over $200 finished cost.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
1. Maybe...the material would have to be longer than the rocker or it will scrape the paint
2.Dedicated models would be much cheaper to make i belive.
3.Mine gets like a rain forest inside when it's really humid so that may not be a bad idea.

Thanks for looking beyond just a duplicate cover Mike

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Same answers as Tasker.

Also, mine soaks through if wather puddles up on it for any leangth of time.

The door covers not only nneed to be a little longer but a little wider to, to cover the entire door opening for those of us with lift off steel doors.

An access zipper into the drivers side would be nice.

I've been trying to figure out a way to shed the water better and tried a bow (like the old style pick up bed covers used) from the windshield to the rear cage hoop. Didn't work. Next I'll try a couple from side to side. Anone go any good ideas on how to make the cover shed water better?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
yep....works great and runs right off the sides. Can see why you couldn't use something else if the roof was off.....box or something on the roll cage

broncokak

Bronco Guru
ya, if I know its going to rain for days I put the top up and put the cover over the top. I was thinking of somthing more for over night or thunder storms...when i wouldn't want to take the time to put the top up just to take it back down later on.

ransil

Bronco Guru
1. no
2. no
3. no

its a trail cover not a soft top make it simple to keep costs down.

I have one with thousands of miles on it from travel, want a storage cover buy a full cover or build a garage.

make it cheap enough and no one will have a problem with replacing it every few years.