• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Update on Perf Auto and their unwillingness to address anything about their 6r to SBF adapter.

My friend who last week sheared his torque converter adapter studs off and broke his flexplate called PA. They said they'd never heard of this happening and didn't see the design of the spacer studs as a potential issue.

I will call them on Monday, not mention my buddy but tell them about my exact same issue. I'm sure they'll deny it, like they deny the converter snout not fitting in the end of the crank.

Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks for posting up about the turn signals. I was eyeing the TBP LED lights the other day. I have clear lenses for mine but have amber lenses installed to meet the legal requirement. Would prefer the clear ones. I sense another purchase happening.

As for PA, get 'em...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'll send ya a 4 sec video Lars... the still pic doesn't begin to show the light intensity. You'll love these.

Enjoy helping ya spend your hard earned money! :)

How did you link your start up video in your post? Sure would be nice to be able to link a short video.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have a follow up to my Heat Torture test but first I am going to post up some pics of my new spare tire carrier. I wanted several things improved over my trailer spindle setup I've used for decades. The spindle only broke once which rammed my spare tire into my 100% perfect tailgate bending it in appr 2". It was rattle free all those years but I wanted something different so...

I ran with my tailgate off to see what it would be like for fumes... COUGH, COUGH!! Dang. Never had fumes in my 1/2 cab but w/o a tailgate its like a big fan blowing them in from the back! :(

So I was going to build it with 1 1/2" tube but a good Bronco buddy got one from a raffle and I ended up with it. Thanks again Marc!

I made a few changes to it, moved the mounting plate for the actual tire so my 40" MTR wouldn't sit so high or low and I spent waaaay too much time making it so I could easily move it 5" higher for trails where I might get in some nasty stuff but need a spare since nobody else would have one. I did remember to make sure I could put my receiver hitch in so I could attach a bubba rope to pull my buddies out. :) (probably them to pull me back out). lol

Here's a couple pics

1st pic- trying to square it up and get it to fit.

I can adjust the height by removing the two lugnuts and moving it vertically almost 5" for more clearance. Not sure I'll ever use that but

Attachments

• 20210615_121730.jpg
    20210615_121730.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210615_165843.jpg
    20210615_165843.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210616_145012.jpg
    20210616_145012.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I find it amazing the number of conversions that get kits made that become the go to kit that are not sufficient in design. They wore perfect for the show car that runs from the garage to the trailer to the show field and back. In real world use they don’t hold up. There are a ton of engine swap kits that are the same way, absolutely perfect until do that hard hole shot for the 10th time or just drive it daily for a while and get some miles on it. I quit building show cars cuz I hate continual polishing and don’t own a race car cuz I just want to drive it, albeit hard but I want to drive it. Sometimes too much time is spent on easy and not enough on durability.

You are 100% spot on Steve!

My friend that had the exact same thing happen to him ended up having a tranny shop (race cars) weld on spacer tabs on to the converter so he doesn't use the "spacer bolts" that the SBF to 6r uses. These same spacer bolts are used by LS engine swap conversions also.

I'm hoping that I don't need to do this again but if I do then I have three options.

1-The newer designed kit that spaces the trans back 1 1/2" farther than the Perf Auto kit

2- Weld spacers on to the flex plate, tap them and use bolts from the engine side thru the flexplate into the newly tapped holes

3- Custom converter built to bolt on

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Not a polish/bling type guy here either...Love to drive it everyday for anything and everything...

the best way to find the issues is to run it hard...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Not a polish/bling type guy here either...Love to drive it everyday for anything and everything...

the best way to find the issues is to run it hard...

and check for loose bolts or anything abnormal before EVERY trip!! I'm with ya Mad!! :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So an update after the great

Glacier Natl Park trip with my buddies with 4 other Broncos.

Bronco ran great the entire trip, got home and 2 days later it started limping on the way to town- really limping. Fought it for several days, started another thread here and cleaned my MAF, installed two new O2 sensors AND reloaded my old Q horse tune and since then another one.

After a lot of troubleshooting I think/thought my O2 sensors were old and decrepid and might have gotten wet AND the temporary (again) Qhorse tune went corrupt to cause my problem.

I am up and running w/o an issue. Garry is reading datalogs and I am installing tunes. Can't wait to get a permanent chip in so I don't have temporary software causing issues.

I will have to work on cold start tuning and starting at altitude before he can burn me a chip but by fall is my goal.

Thought I'd let ya all know that the temp Qhorse tune is just that... temporary so don't delay like I do. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
WHOA!
spooked myself tonight.

6r80, USShift Controller.

USShift firm shift stock tune

Tuning my Moates Qtrhorse on my 460sbf and as I was running thru 1-2-3 then let off the skinny pedal if must have shifted down to first at 60 mph locking up the rear for well over 100'.

This in a '68 Bronco running 40"s, not something you want sliding down the street sideways at speed.

Causes? Lead frame? Has all the symptoms. :(

I haven't tweaked the tune other than max shift pt and that was over a year ago. I shift manually a lot of the time.

- what caused this? Will it happen again? Could it? Dang, this could cause serious injury and collision and has according to a Ford TSB.

TAC71

Its electronic.....it will probably happen again ..... When? is the big question.
Do you have datalog abilities on the trans?
If you can look at sensor signals I think the leadframe looses the signal from the output speed sensor which causes the instant downshift.

Its electronic witchcraft and liquid voodoo.... hahaha

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hahaha!! I read your post and then saw the author of said reply and am still laughing!!

VooDoo!

Ford has had TSB's out for the leadframes in earlier versions... nobody is 100% certain that it's the leadframe but both 6r forums vote 99% that is what it is. Course Ford is backordered about 3 months min. I heard 6,000 units! Must be a common issue.

Think I might get on the backorder list and when a new one comes in, I'll put it in

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
S P O O K Y tho..
Worrying if the rear end is going to lock up w/o a seconds notice.

Last edited:

TAC71

My 2013 Raptor has the recall for programming of the trans control but not a leadframe replacement, its a few months into the "fixed" leadframes.
I haven't taken it in for the reflash yet.
The program change is to prevent the 1st gear shift at 60mph when the Output Speed Sensor craps out.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Exactly. On the early models Ford would just program the trans to shift to 5th when the OSS crapped out.

I do have datalog capabilites but I am replacing this now. Don't want it to happen again.

Then down the road they replsced the leadframe if it did it again. This is what I've heard anyway.

My 6r is supposed to be a '15. I have the VIN # -it is a 2015.

I know Ford did more updates as this was occuring after the huge recall.. I read (so I'm not 100%l that Ford installed 2 magnets in the trans and the new updated leadframe has foam that helps protect any crap from getting on the terminals of the solenoids. So its a real issue.

Not as common but reading that a lot of the later model ones die also. A lot.

Lucky me. Least I didnt slide off the road or get in a wreck. Wow. :(

I am installing a Dorman unit in today. Not worth the risk. Both Napa and OReillys carry the Dorman. Hope its a good one. I have 2 of them on the bench.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Update- I installed a new leadframe. Couldn't risk it. I'm going on a long trip later this week. NWBronco RoundUp. Got some serious sand dunes to play on. That and I have a 200mile up the coast...would like to do it without worry.

Trans seems fine. Course it seemed fine before it locked up at 60mph also. ;(

ONLY complaint I had with my 6r was something that started happening this spring. When manually shifting into "D" from P, R, or N it would take 1 to 2 full seconds before engaging. Every time, not random.

Didn't do it for the entire time I had it before. Oh well I thought. Checked programming and couldn't see any ways to fix that brief pause before engaging. Talked with Kevin at USShift (he actually answered the phone!!!) WOW, that's been a LONG time since that has happened. They have gotten soooooo busy it's hurting customer service.
Well, it engages immediately upon shifting the Winters into drive now.

All I did was change fluid (another $130), new filter and the leadframe.

I have not heard of slight shift delay into first as being a symptom but I will check to see if it could be a precurser/indicator of total failure being imminent??? Who knows right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Update.

6r trans is shifting fine. No symptoms of anything of any kind... so, I rhought I might have an extra day to pack & maybe even wash the dirt off the mtrhome & Bronco but NO, that didnt happen.
Was pushing hard to get the 460 sb tuned and Garry has really got it dialed in. Made another acceleration adjustment enrichment and an hour later I took it down the road one mile and barely made it there and home. Reading 10 on the wideband O2 andsounded and ran like the manual choke was pulled out full. Barely, I mean idled fine but if you tried 1200 rpm it was choking hard on waaaay to much fuel.

Qtrhorse went rogue. Totally failed as Garry had to spend over 2 hrs reloading the entire setup since none of my tunes from the last two yes, not modifications, nothing worked.

Was I freaked out because I was supposed to be packing for the BroncoRdUp.

Long story; but Imup and running and he's getting me closer to being dialed in again.

I need to get my chip burned so this isnt a problem every again!!!

BanditBronco

I feel for you on having computer issues. I was about to order a quarterhorse a couple of weeks ago but they were on back order. I checked in with them and they said that testing went well on their latest batch of chips and they were in production. I think they are having to jump between chip manufacturers because of the supply chain issues everyone is having. Non of this is confirmed, just a hunch by me. I ended up going a different route because I didn't want to risk it. Sadly for your computer you are kinda stuck with it being your best option.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you have a trip planned. Thought I was going to have to help you report a stolen vehicle when I saw it running down I-5 yesterday.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Not much power for launching as I couldn't even throw sand/dirt when tbe Christmas tree at ths Sand Drags went green BUT it was running good enough to get fastest speed of the day at the Sand Drags at the NWBRonco RdUp in Florence last week. ;)

Had a great week with friends and meeting new people.

Finally took some pics of mine after most people went home after the raffle Sat night. Last pic shows the kayak rack.

Attachments

• 20210821_185448(0).jpg
    20210821_185448(0).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210821_185426(0).jpg
    20210821_185426(0).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210821_185329.jpg
    20210821_185329.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited: