• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fawl Crawl - Harlan, KY Oct 19-20 UPDATED INFO 10/15

Mudman78

Loc.
Lyndhurst
It's a lot closer than Harlan County Campground & RV Park. It's on the south side of the mountain. It still looks like we have to take the Dodge to meet up (driving on town roads), but it looks like it's only 10 minutes away instead of 45.
The North RV park is half the price as the South RV park and it's right at the Everts trail head. The site doesn't say whether either has showers though.

Found this place too: http://www.blackmountainrentals.com/index.html

which is only two miles down RT 38 from Verda Feild: http://www.kyoutdoors.com/rr/sponsor/verda/verda.htm

Is there a trail head at Verda Field or are we going in at the Everts trail head?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I understand Verda Filed is about 2-3 miles away from the trailhead. If anyone stays at Harlan County Campground you may be able to leave your non-streetable trail rigs at Verda Field.

Mudman78

Loc.
Lyndhurst
It must be the Everts trail head then, because Verda, KY is 2.62 miles from Everts, KY.

The connection between the two is RT 38. Will they allow "trail only" rigs to drive the 2 miles to the trail head? or do they have to be trailered right to the trail head?

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
I'm pretty sure they allow it, but I'll let someone else confirm. On memorial day I heard that quads were driving into town. They only got pulled over if they were doing something stupid.

OX1

Bronco Guru
From Everts Twnshp............

"Our shower house is around 1 - 1 1/2 miles from Verda field located at
South Evarts RV Park. There is an off road trail from South Evarts RV
park to Verda field. The price for RV's/trailers is $20.00 per night per
RV/trailer. Tent camping is $10.00 per tent per night per tent.
If you have any other questions please let me know."

OX1

Bronco Guru
I understand Verda Filed is about 2-3 miles away from the trailhead. If anyone stays at Harlan County Campground you may be able to leave your non-streetable trail rigs at Verda Field.

Thats what I may do. Unload fri morning and leave it there until Sun?? Do they allow night wheeling if I wanted to back and forth through the trails??

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thats what I may do. Unload fri morning and leave it there until Sun?? Do they allow night wheeling if I wanted to back and forth through the trails??

Yes, the park is open 24x7x365! (or technically would that be 24x7x52??) In any case, they are open all the time! ;D

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I don't think you have to worry about driving your trail rig to the campgroud. Evertts allows atvs on the highway so they can come down off the mountain to get gas and food. The people in the area are all very appreciative of the money that the wheelers bring into the community. It would be nice if everyone would buy some gas, groceries, etc while in the area. They do provide free wheeling after all. I may come over Saturday.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I don't think you have to worry about driving your trail rig to the campgroud. Evertts allows atvs on the highway so they can come down off the mountain to get gas and food. The people in the area are all very appreciative of the money that the wheelers bring into the community. It would be nice if everyone would buy some gas, groceries, etc while in the area. They do provide free wheeling after all. I may come over Saturday.

It's not only the law I'm concerend about. With 7.56 overall rear end gears and no overdrive, even 42's make for a really slow 2 miles on the street. ;D

Mudman78

Loc.
Lyndhurst
From Everts Twnshp............

"Our shower house is around 1 - 1 1/2 miles from Verda field located at
South Evarts RV Park. There is an off road trail from South Evarts RV
park to Verda field. The price for RV's/trailers is $20.00 per night per
RV/trailer. Tent camping is $10.00 per tent per night per tent.
If you have any other questions please let me know."

The trail head is at the RV park, so everyone at Verda Field would have to go to the RV park to get to the mountain and since they have showers, we can just stay at the south RV park. They let the ATV's ride around on city streets, but it doesn't say anything about trucks. It's a moot point anyway since there's an off-road trail from Verda Fieid to the RV park/trail head.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
The main trailhead is just down the road from Verda Field. That is the entrance that almost everyone uses. The one coming out of the campground is mostly for the people camping in the campground. It was opened up at a later date so that those camping there would have access to the ORV park without having to load up and drive around to the actual entrance. I haven't been in the campground but have driven by it and I don't think they have all that much extra parking. All the booths and stuff will be set up in Verda Field. The bronco Fall Crawl is only part of the big event. This is the fall event of the Ky Mtn Crawlers & Black Mtn ORV. There will be lots of other people and rides there. http://kymc.org/phpBB2/index.php There is a link to their forum. Check it out and you can get an idea of what's going on. Also if you have any questions just sign on and ask away. They are a very helpful bunch of people.

cesco

I am planning on staying at the mount air motel. how far is this from verde field?

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
Mount Aire is down in Harlan so the 10 miles is prolly spot on. Easy drive up to Verda Field and the trail head and easy to find in Harlan. It's one block off of hwy 421.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Mount Aire is down in Harlan so the 10 miles is prolly spot on. Easy drive up to Verda Field and the trail head and easy to find in Harlan. It's one block off of hwy 421.

Laddle - Sounds like you've wheeled there a few times. I think most of us going have never been there since this is a switch from Tellico. Any comments on the trails or your impression of the park?

I assume you'll be going to the event - as you have been to many of the Fawl Crawls in the past.

Thanks.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I'm only a couple of hrs away but I have only wheeled there twice and the last time was a couple of years ago. I do plan on coming over at least for one day. This is a realitively new ORV park and they didn't have a lot of trails the last time I was over there and most were either bunny trails or very hard core. They have opened up a bunch of new trails. I really don't have any idea how many trails of what difficulties they have now. From what I have heard if you like hardcore stuff such as lower 2 & Slick Rock @ Tellico you will find plenty to suit you. A lot of hardcore groups ride over there a lot. Expect carnage and body damage on some of the extreme trails. Espcially the one called Canopener. The trail from the campground off of hwy 421 hadn't even been opened last time I was over there and it is said to be a good trail. If you do a search on Pirate you will find the thread on their last ride over there earlier this year and there are some great pics if they are still up as well as some video. As for the easier trails for stockers there is a lot of miles of gravel/dirt roads with lots of beautiful views. I'm sure they have other trails for them as well but I wouldn't have been interested in them so I didn't persue them. The Ky Mtn Krawler are a great buch of guys and they are the ones that started it all. The main guys were actually all eb guys when they started it all but alas only one still wheels a bronco as far as I know. He's Grant Baker and he' well known in the bronco community as he has 35 or more broncos. If anyone has any more questions I'll be glad to try to help.
Here's a link to their forum where you can ask them questions and also read what has been said in the past about the park.
http://kymc.org/phpBB2/index.php
Here is the link to the Pirate trip. There are some good pics. Near the end of the thread there is a good video. Check them out.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541066&highlight=harlan,ky

Last edited:

cesco

do you know if there is a hotel/motel any closer? not much of a camper :eek: and I would like to get as close as possible..:)

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
Not really. There is another motel or maybe two in Harlan but they are all within a mile of each other and Mount Aire is prolly the cheapest.