• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fawl Crawl - Harlan, KY Oct 19-20 UPDATED INFO 10/15

OX1

Bronco Guru
I thought there was some cabin rentals at the Evarts campground - but I didn't see any information on it. Anybody know?

The south Evarts campground is booked, no spots open, as are those cabins. I ended up getting 2 rooms at the Mount Aire.........Not my first choice, but 4 days and no showers = one unhappy offroader............ :p

OX1

Bronco Guru
The south Evarts campground is booked, no spots open, as are those cabins. I ended up getting 2 rooms at the Mount Aire.........Not my first choice, but 4 days and no showers = one unhappy offroader............ :p

Got some bum info. The south campground is not booked and should have plenty of space. The cabins are booked though.

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
I spoke to the owner of Harland Campground and he still has sites available, not sure about cabins. Call 606 573 9009 or 606 273 6189. This campground is on one of the trail heads but not the main one the Crawl is using I dont think. It is also monitored all day long.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I spoke to the owner of Harland Campground and he still has sites available, not sure about cabins. Call 606 573 9009 or 606 273 6189. This campground is on one of the trail heads but not the main one the Crawl is using I dont think. It is also monitored all day long.

That one is a half hour drive and/or on the wrong side of the mnt from where we will be. Nothing wrong with it if you want to be that far away (I don't). I got my latest info from either the mayor or someone from the township of Evarts, they claim they do not take reservations on the south side campground but have never been full. So far I'm sticking with the hotel, as it will just be easier than camping..........

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Just spoke to one of the organizers of the KYMC Fall Crawl (MEB is holding our Fawl Crawl in conjunction with the KYMC Fall Crawl) and they are making an event shirt which will be available to purchase at the event. Cool thing is they are going to put an EB on the shirt!

If you are planning on attending please sign up at

http://www.earlybroncos.com/index.asp

Just click on the banner and it will take you to a sign up link. Or just check out the sign up link to see who all is signed up.

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
Are there signs or anything for it? I just want to make sure it's clear since 90% of the people coming have never been there. I've only been to the North trailhead.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
Verda field is on the right side of hwy 38 about 2 miles before the turn off for the entrance to the park. You really can't miss it. BIG flat field. There's not that much flat land in Harlan County. There will a lot of stuff going on in the field from what I understand.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Gary, do we need to purchase shirts and meal tickets in advance, or will all that be onsite?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Free parts delivery to Fawl Crawl!

I need to clear out some inventory so I can buy some needed equipment for my new shop and get to work putting my trail rig back together! This isn't a firesale, but the prices are fair.

I have lots of parts. I'll try to compile a current list, but for now if you have any need for parts and want me to bring them to Harlan, KY for the Fawl Crawl in a few weeks, please let me know ASAP. Big and heavy stuff needs like hoods, transmissions & axles need to be pre-paid to haul it down. Shoot me a direct email to drew@earlybroncos.com with 'PARTS WANTED" in the sublect line so it does not get filterd or deleted as spam. Let me know what you need and how nice it needs to be for your project (parts are priced accordingly to condition, so if you want a usable door for a trail rig and a some repairable rust and dents are OK, let me know).

Here's some items off the top of my head:

Hoods: about 7-8 to choose from
Tailgates: 8 to choose from
Liftgates: 3-4 to choose from
Grilles: a few to pick from
EB Dana 44's: Several complete Drum and disc units, Housings (diff, but no knuckles)
Full width high pinion D-44
Ford 9": Complete axles, housings, shafts
Radius arms and caps
C4's: all with bellhousing, input shaft, and intermediate housings. 2 with J shift and crossmember attached
T-cases: 15-20 to choose from: T shift and J shift, some for parts and some loose T-case parts.
Doors: 15-20 drivers and passengers to pick from. One really nice set of early style 67 doors with original paint and interior panels.

Stock steel wheels: 1 nice set of 4
15x7 (maybe 8"?)Chrome modulars, almost new: $75 for 4
Gas tanks: Aux, metal and plastic mains
Rear seats: several to choose from
Hardtop glass
Steering columns: Auto and manual
Pedal assemblies: Auto and manual
Dash panels: 8-10 to choose from
EB V8 oil pans and oil pickup assemblies
EB V8 timing covers
Stock engine fans
Stock air cleaners
Stock V8 intake manifolds
Stock bench seat
Gauge clusters
Chrome trim
Tail light housings and lenses

MUCH more, email me with what you need.

Thanks,
Drew

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Gary, do we need to purchase shirts and meal tickets in advance, or will all that be onsite?

Shirts and meals will be onsite. Here is the food info info posted on Pirate -

FOOD! there will be food served at verda field this year! This will make some money for the host club,and keep me from having to pack anything but "pop tarts"

Here's the menu that Jim and Brenda have planned.

Friday night dinner: Soup Beans & Corn Bread (these are all you can eat), Serving of Grilled Potatoes, Mustard Greens, Coleslaw, Dessert, Drink (Pop, Water or Coffee)

Pizza will be available for Purchase for those who don't like Soup Beans)

Saturday night dinner: Ribs, Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Coleslaw, Roll, Dessert, Drink (Pop, Water or Coffee)

Cost for Friday night's meal ticket is $10.00. Cost for Saturday night's meal ticket is $15.00. If you purchase them both in advance the total cost is $20.00.

Port-a-Pots will be at the field and we're trying to get sanitizer stations to go along with them or build them ourselves.

Water will be turned on and Tom Goss is checking into getting us a 3 inch pump so that we can use river water to wash our rigs and fill up or drain a mud pit when needed.

We plan on having a large central bonfire each night as long as there isn't a burning ban in effect at the time. We've got one going right now and can't burn anything outside.

Hope this answers some of your questions. This year's Fall Crawl is going to be BIG! We have a very large group that has already committed.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Just checked next week's weather for Harlan - 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms on Thursday, 30% on Friday and partly cloudy on Saturday. I hear the rain will really change the trails at Black Mountain - should make it very interesting! ;D

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Updated Info!

Here are some last minute updates.

+ Prices of meals have been reduced to $7 for Friday and $12 for Saturday nights
+ Shirts will be $15 and will have a Bronco on the back (available on a first come basis)
+ All registered campers at Verda Field will be entered in a raffle
+ Stickers/decal with the T-shirt art will be available for $6
+ An event "x-mas ornament", or rear view mirror dangler, will be available for $7 and it has a Bronco on it too!
+ A big country style biscuits and gravy breakfast will be available on Sat and Sun mornings
+ Trail rides will probably group up at 8 am and leave at about 9 am each day (staging will be at Verda Field)
+ Sunday rides will be optional depending upon interest

This is looking to be great weekend for wheeling. KYMC is expecting a pretty big crowd for total attendance. So far we have 36 rigs signed up at the MEB website. Duff's will be there. Bronco Driver will be there. Hope to see you there!

Gary Gibson

MEB Events Director

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here are directions to Bailey's Creek Trailhead as posted on Pirate:

From Interstate 75:
Take Kentucky exit 29 at Corbin. Travel 32 miles south on the Cumberland Gap Parkway (U.S.25E) to Pineville. Turn left onto northbound U.S. 119 (by the Pineville Happy Mart), and proceed 27 miles to Harlan. Turn right onto southbound U.S. 421 and travel 1 mile to stoplight #5. Turn left onto KY 38 and travel 8 miles to Evarts. Directly after crossing railroad tracks, turn left onto Rt. 2430 (Kelly Street). Follow the road 0.7 miles and then turn left across the railroad crossing. Continue for 0.8 miles to the Baileys Creek Trail Head.

From Cumberland Gap, Tenn.
Travel 13 miles north on the Cumberland Gap Parkway (U.S.25E) to Pineville. Turn right onto northbound U.S. 119 (by the Pineville Happy Mart), and proceed 27 miles to Harlan. Turn right onto southbound U.S. 421 and travel 1 mile to stoplight #5. Turn left onto KY 38 and travel 8 miles to Evarts. Directly after crossing railroad tracks, turn left onto Rt. 2430 (Kelly Street). Follow the road 0.7 miles and then turn left across the railroad crossing. Continue for 0.8 miles to the Baileys Creek Trail Head.

From Pennington Gap, Va.
Travel 23 Miles north on U.S. 421 to Harlan. Turn right onto KY 38 (stoplight #5) and travel 8 miles to Evarts. Directly after crossing railroad tracks, turn left onto Rt. 2430 (Kelly Street). Follow the road 0.7 miles and then turn left across the railroad crossing. Continue for 0.8 miles to the Baileys Creek Trail Head.

As noted in a post above, Verda Field is two miles south of the trail head (end point) just north of the Rt 38 highway marker. It's right on Rt 38.

Last edited:

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
Looks like we're probably staying at the campground at the North trailhead for the showers. Anyone else staying up there?

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
It looks like I'm having to back out. I just have too much going on at work to get away this weekend. Take some pictures and drink some cold ones for me.

Stephen