• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
BTW I’d bump your tolerance up on the converter snout to .005-.008. At .001 you’ll play hell getting it in and even more getting it out if ever needed

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So I took the PA adapter button which the TC now slides into easily and equally as slides into the crank w/o wiggling by hand and they are only .001" difference.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
79ina69... 10.5" vertically separate my upper and lower links.

79INA69

Right on, thanks! That sounds right in line with 37-42" tall tire rec range. I have the full height of the batwing on my truss, and could lower is 1-1.5" and counter sink the bolt holes, but I need to put some miles on first before going backwards again

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Backwards??? It's the only 4 gears I know!!! lol

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Right on, thanks! That sounds right in line with 37-42" tall tire rec range. I have the full height of the batwing on my truss, and could lower is 1-1.5" and counter sink the bolt holes, but I need to put some miles on first before going backwards again

Don’t be afraid of the lowers above center line of the axle, it usually helps the geometry and adds ground clearance. As long as you can keep the vertical separation in tolerance all is good

79INA69

Thanks Yeller, that was the idea. My lowers are outboard right up to the caliper brackets and 1" above center line with my current pinion angle and short rear driveshaft. Im not opposed to making the recess in the floor board area, my bronco is not a show piece either. I have a good understanding now. I started shoving everything between the frame rails prior to finding this site. I remember being shown a bronco that WFO built with 3" coilover 3 link front with knuckle over steering and a pac sway bar, and crossover steering. They were telling me how hard it was for it to all fit. Now I'm starting to see all the hurdles it takes. Rear 4 link triangulation and exhaust...ect. Its all part of the challenge

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Packaging is where all the time is... youre gonna love it..

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yep before you know it your cutting the frame up and putting it in the scrap and building a custom chassis to fit better around all is that lol

But it allows you to get down that extra few inches to near stock height ;D

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I think when I 3 link the front the front rails are getting cut up so I can go tie rod over... not sure I can even do it then with as much up travel as I have with 2 1/2" lift...tight with

79INA69

I stayed knuckle under on 8 lug D44 outers which is almost the same height as 1/2 ton over. Flat pitman arm that it almost hitting the bottom of the frame. At current full stuff I have 5" from bottom of frame to top of axle tube. This is where my pitman arm TRe hits the tie rod with steering wheel straight. Oil pan to pumpkin and track bar to oil pan. Really pumpkin to oil pan is the biggest factor. I would like to ride around in some of these new style 2-3" uptravel super wide ultra low crawler builds. The ride quality has to be bad, right? Or are the shock tunes and air bumps that good? I dont like the idea of hitting bump stops on small ledges all day long

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I stayed knuckle under on 8 lug D44 outers which is almost the same height as 1/2 ton over. Flat pitman arm that it almost hitting the bottom of the frame. At current full stuff I have 5" from bottom of frame to top of axle tube. This is where my pitman arm TRe hits the tie rod with steering wheel straight. Oil pan to pumpkin and track bar to oil pan. Really pumpkin to oil pan is the biggest factor. I would like to ride around in some of these new style 2-3" uptravel super wide ultra low crawler builds. The ride quality has to be bad, right? Or are the shock tunes and air bumps that good? I dont like the idea of hitting bump stops on small ledges all day long

All depends on how they are built. Some are terrible some are Cadillac nice. Just posted pics in a tire size thread in chat, so won't repeat. My bronco sitting next to nvrstuk's looks tiny on 37s and his is really low for 40's (why did we not take any pics of that???LOL) but I still have 5" of up travel. at full bump everything is close to everything and you can still get paper between everything. The tires rub occasionally on the front shocks when things are just right and the rear tires rub on the shock towers some but no metal to metal anywhere. and feel I'm in the Cadillac group.

79INA69

Yeah I bet your two Broncos ride very nice. 5-6" of up travel is not easy to achieve on a Bronco. I'm referring to the 2-3" up travel rock crawler builds. I wanted to run 40's at first. Tried to clearance wheel wells for it, but its already pretty tight on 37's cut to the body line. 35's will go through Fordyce and Rubicon. Wheelbase becomes and issue for street manners too. There are a lot of high quality builds on CB, and sometimes it helps to see others go through the same struggles

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
SQEEEEAK... Steve said it, tight.

My struts just touch rubber like his but I have a good 1/16" on three measurements up front metal to metal. :)

Not many crazy people seem to go to the months of extra work for that little extra bit.

Get's tight fast... I'm in the Caddy group also. Rides great... I need 2 more ft of wheel base but I take the 12-16"whoops about 5' apart on the S access road btw the ocean and the dunes at Florence at 62mph (with no access for others). Was hoping to video it this year but the Event is cancelled. Does what I wanted for what Broncos have to work with. Really pleased. Can't afford 3, 4, 6 Broncos so I use this one the last 44 yrs for everything.

I had to cut off off the bottom of my front crossmember and run it so it's flat with the frame rails since it was impossible to do w/o cutting.

Last edited:

79INA69

That's impressive! Video would be awesome to see! I too have the front cross member cut and replaced with straight tube flush with the bottom rail. Sorry to hear about all the problems with the 14b sublet. I also have a really hard time paying anyone to do anything for me

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
"Didn't happen w/o pics" right? lol
We were going to go back for video but my buddies rig broke down and ...

Last edited: