• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Scott- there website has some "different" stuff on it for sure!! lol

There are some things a quick release strg wheel can't buy...

Towing a Bronco without a strg wheel and hydr assist strg ain't easy. Vise grips clamped on the quick release hub would be tough to get the Bronco down the road a-ways. Be relatively easy on a car I would think??

Just a thought. Definitely some pros and cons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Theyellow tape measure extended vertically is to give me a visual to see if I have room for my vertical tubing between the ps box and the grill. Tight- but looks like I can mount it the same way on the pass side for some symmetry.

The Granada in the last pic I saw in the big City last week had me laughing out loud. I've been running THAT same radiator for 11 yrs now behind 2 different strokers... Ford didn't make their cars very cool looking or exciting back in the '70's but they were TOUGH!! lol

Attachments

• 20210320_125740.jpg
    20210320_125740.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210320_125950.jpg
    20210320_125950.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210318_103938.jpg
    20210318_103938.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Mock up progress.

I can make it all work with the pitman facing fwd like I've run it for years but with some grill cutting, moving the new radiator a bit more I could go back to a 4x4x2 box and have the drag link and the tie rod within 1 1/2" of each other to help with strg geometry.

The strg box will be within a 1/8" of the grill after notching it and it will sit 1" lower than I'd like but I think for the sstrg geometry benefits it'll be worth it.

Thoughts?

The pic shows the track bar mount tacked in place with holes in it where the ps box has sat for 3 1/2 yrs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Mounting plate rough cut, drilled & tapped for the ps box. Placement here gives me just enough drag link to tie rod clearance.

I have no idea how guys move the axle forward 3" without going full hydr or having the pitman face fwd.

Attachments

• 20210322_182712.jpg
    20210322_182712.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 49

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have no idea how guys move the axle forward 3" without going full hydr or having the pitman face fwd.

You can do 4” with a rear facing pitman arm but the steering box protrudes 1/2”-3/4” past the face of the grill. Which is part of the reason my bumper is flush with the bottom of the headlights, covers it up nicely and I love the profile from the front of Duff’s Pony Express. However that doesn't work with any bronco, Delphi or 4x4x2 box you can’t hide it behind the bumper without hiding the headlight at least without a sizable body lift.

I’ve not seen it but has anyone ever considered mounting a square body Chevy truck box on the outside of the frame? You could run an even longer track bar and it would be low enough to be covered by the bumper. Would require full width axles though I’m sure. I did look at it but the tire would rub pretty hard on it at full lock with 37’s, but my frame is wider than a bronco frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I know what I'll be looking at more closely at the Safari next month... I'd better start making progress or I'll be a spectator! :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's a bummer, was hoping to see you there again. Totally understand tho!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
:-[Drove around my little town and hit every shop, store, friend I knew looking for some mat material that I could put on the bottom of the radiator between the tanks. See pic below.

Radiator spans the frame rails and is sitting 1/2" above them on a pc of channel that has short ends/tabs welded on each end which allows me to bolt it to the inside of the frame rails allowing me to move it fwd/back easily down the road

Inserted between the alum flanges on the bottom of the radiator between the tanks is 3/4" thick pc of rubber mat material. The blk pc of "channel" which is actually 1x3 rect tube with one side cut off fits over the outside of the alum flanges to keep the raqdiator from moving. Couldn't use channel as the wall was too thick and tapered.

I'll try to get some pics so my description is easier to understand.

Attachments

• 20210323_154511.jpg
    20210323_154511.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Tacking everything in place.

Leaving 4 3/4" btw core and wtrpump shaft for possible future brushless electric fan. Need 4 1/4" and want to make sure I leave enough for the SD trans cooler in frt.

marjama

Contributor
Maybe I missed it Brian, but...why the quick release steering wheel? Theft deterrent, or ??

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I usually wind up cutting up a radiator hose or rubber intake tube to provide that cushion space. Regular channel is heavy, the cut tube is much lighter;D

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
You got it Steve! :) I put truck inner tube on the inside of each leg. It's my go to cheap fix for staking trees also. Cut a strip to end up with a circle and it let's the new tree flex and doesn't cut into the bark.

This morning I'm going to finally run some tubing. I know a guy in the midwest who miters corners... :) Think I'm going to do this to save space up btw the headlight and grill. Gives me a tight 90 so I can mount a rectangular p/s cooler there &/or p/s reservoir.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes Marcus. Theft deterent for when the Bronco's parked at the end of a trail and we're hiking. The only downside I can see at this point is what about those times I don't take it off because now I worry that some *&@#+^ steals my strg wheel... then I'd be in trouble! :-0

I need to find/make an EZ to use plastic coated cable/chain attachment around my cage to make unlocking the wheel from it super easy, fast and clean (meaning I don't want to lean over the back). When gone for the day I can take the wheel with me since we always take small backpacks w/water.

Seldom if ever go to the same place 2 days in a row so the guy thinking that he would bring his battery cutoff grinder with him the next day... only do so much right? I"m going to buy a small battery GPS positioning device also with battery backup.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You got it Steve! :) I put truck inner tube on the inside of each leg. It's my go to cheap fix for staking trees also. Cut a strip to end up with a circle and it let's the new tree flex and doesn't cut into the bark.

This morning I'm going to finally run some tubing. I know a guy in the midwest who miters corners... :) Think I'm going to do this to save space up btw the headlight and grill. Gives me a tight 90 so I can mount a rectangular p/s cooler there &/or p/s reservoir.

Give that guy a shout if you need a refresher on the process:-X;D:p

I was actually thinking about more deterrents last week. for me a simple cable from brake pedal to the steering wheel is about as effective as it gets without being complicated. Can't use the brakes or turn the wheel. can't stop everything, just make it more difficult. I have a friend that put a timer box on the fuel pump relay. if its active it runs for 10 seconds and dies. Shut the key off and restart runs for 10 seconds again. If you just try to restart it won't start, best deterrent I've seen and they don't tear it up trying to steel it, just get frustrated and leave that nonrunning POS where it sits. My bigger concern is smash and grab with a wrecker, those guys are in and out in seconds, but they aren't out on the trail, I worry about that at hotels over night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Miter cut the 2 pcs, put a plate across one of the 2 ends and it should be the same OD as the tubing correct? Weld it up... then weld the two pcs together... close? Tig machine would be nice for this... :)

Out of 5 do I get a 2 or a 3 for the remembering the procedure. PM me if it's a 1 OK? lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, theft deterent... what a hassle. Back in the day a Bronco was just ... a Bronco. Now they're worth too dang much. :( I don't care what it's worth, just want to drive it. Never selling it.

I took two motion detector alarms to a not so nice area on vacation a decade or so ago - - - thinking something similar in the Bronco... Motion detector with a WHOOP siren, not a regular car horn AND a GPS style signal alarm like you use on your property but it could mounted on the cage showing a pic of the driver and sending the GPS coordinates ...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Miter cut the 2 pcs, put a plate across one of the 2 ends and it should be the same OD as the tubing correct? Weld it up... then weld the two pcs together... close? Tig machine would be nice for this... :)

Out of 5 do I get a 2 or a 3 for the remembering the procedure. PM me if it's a 1 OK? lol

your close...LOL The plate is the same as the ID not he OD. And yes a TIG is super sweet for this:p

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
HA!! Close... that was 2 yrs ago next month I think. lol

Thanks Steve.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Not much done yesterday
Spent a couple hours matching both tubing pcs that mount vertically off the frame rail behind the paeking lights in the grill so they are completely symetrical... who cares right? Keep the hood shut! lol

Total waste of time and I hope I dont roll and crush one-or both! :(

Anyway, this pic is looking straight down at the top of the ps box which I have to re-port and swap sector shafts in soon.

1/4" to clearance the box, 1/2" to clear the grill on pass & driver side.

I just included the JD3 pic because it feels good to be able to actually pull on the arm to bend the tubing... couldn't sleep last night from my shoulder but it's getting better and wasn't an issue pulling the arm on the bender! :) (shoulder update- things take forever to heal up).

Attachments

• 20210324_203928.jpg
    20210324_203928.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210324_110141.jpg
    20210324_110141.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 48